2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P 0455 leak detection pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 09:45 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have a 34 gallon tank in my 98 Quad Cab, Short Bed.
Correct that was the biggest tank offered in a short bed. If you scroll through my restoration thread I show why the 35 won't fit a short bed and have comparison pics

Old 04-07-2021, 09:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Xombi
I shoved the outlet hose of a HF 9.99 air pump (guaranteed to do 100 PSI, barely does 30) . into the hose leading from the charcoal canister. A loose fit that would not over pressurize the tank. Lots of leakage at that connection. . Crawled under the truck and could smell fumes.
There is a breeze today. Put my hand over the buggered rollover valve and could feel air leaking out. . At the same time I had a plastic shop glove over the leak detection pump. It didn't inflate. While running the engine.
I have felt the solenoids on the purge valve and LDP clicking.
As soon as the fuel level is lower I will drop the tank and pressurize it out of the truck. Eric O from the South Main Auto channel has taught me not to fire the parts cannon at once.
you can buy just the roll over valves but they are a son of a gun to get in. I did one on my tank

Old 04-07-2021, 08:37 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Part number for the valve and a source of part please? Did you do a video as well? Is this the rollover valve located in the front of the tank by it's lonesome?

Old 04-07-2021, 10:14 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Part number for the valve and a source of part please? Did you do a video as well? Is this the rollover valve located in the front of the tank by it's lonesome?
Part is here no on the video

Old 04-08-2021, 07:38 AM
Xombi
Professional

Thank you.
Was your rollover valve located in the front by itself? I saw the pic you had, and to me it wasn't clear.
Any sage advice on the instalation without a blood sacrifice? As we all know Chrysler plastic in 2nd gen left much to be desired.
Possibly a blow dryer-heat gun? Is there a gasket or grommet that needs to be ordered as well?

Went thru part of your build blog. Stopped at the broken rollover valve nipple. Got to go to work.

Last edited by Xombi; 04-08-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:08 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Thank you.
Was your rollover valve located in the front by itself? I saw the pic you had, and to me it wasn't clear.
Any sage advice on the instalation without a blood sacrifice? As we all know Chrysler plastic in 2nd gen left much to be desired.
Possibly a blow dryer-heat gun? Is there a gasket or grommet that needs to be ordered as well?

Went thru part of your build blog. Stopped at the broken rollover valve nipple. Got to go to work.
My tank had 2 rollover valves. One in the back one in the front and there was a house that ran to each of them and attached to the EVAP hose that ran from the canister on the owner side frame rail. I took a screwdriver and turn it all around the edge and eventually with some channel locks it came out. There is a gasket but I couldn't find it so I reused my old one and it was fine. No codes or anything. All the roll over valves are the same except early 98 and down. They don't have the ridge because just a house goes over them. They ridge is for if you have a quick disconnect fitting
WRONG PART you need this one!

Old 04-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Xombi
Professional

I am talking about the roll over valve in the front that sits by itself. . Is it the same as the part number as the valve in the rear? The part you listed sits in the fuel pump assy according to the Mopar schematic. . The little thing that sits on top of the hump with a line out of it.

Basically this is my tank https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QbAAA...Kct/s-l500.jpg

I do not know how to cut and paste well.

Last edited by Xombi; 04-08-2021 at 01:11 PM. Reason: to clarify.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I am talking about the roll over valve in the front that sits by itself. . Is it the same as the part number as the valve in the rear? The part you listed sits in the fuel pump assy according to the Mopar schematic. . The little thing that sits on top of the hump with a line out of it.

Basically this is my tank https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QbAAA...Kct/s-l500.jpg

I do not know how to cut and paste well.
Yes the same as mine. Does your have a quick disconnect fitting or just a plastic hose attached to it?

Old 04-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Xombi
Professional

I believe it was a plastic hose chewed away by rodents. No quick connect. Just as the rear valve on the house is a plastic hose. See ebay photo.
Is there any reason why the 34 gallon tanks would not fit in place of the 35 gallon tanks?

Last edited by Xombi; 04-09-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:02 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I believe it was a plastic hose chewed away by rodents. No quick connect. Just as the rear valve on the house is a plastic hose. See ebay photo.
Is there any reason why the 34 gallon tanks would not fit in place of the 35 gallon tanks?
then you want the first one I listed. That I don't know. I know 35 won't fit a 34. So a 35 should fit but you will need a different fuel pump.

Quick Reply: P 0455 leak detection pump