2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 09:21 AM
Jacob Wenstrup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmissions

Hello, I have a 1999 ram 1500, it has the 5.2 magnum and the 46re transmission in it. I bought the truck with a rebuilt transmission. Not long after I bought it, it blew cooler lines to the transmission. While replacing them, I cracked the housing where the fitting goes in. I pulled a transmission from my local junk yard but it didn’t work, however the case is good. I’m not experienced in automatic transmissions and I do not have the money to pay to have it rebuilt nor the money to buy a reman. I was considering swapping a manual into it, I’ve rebuilt several manuals and I know how they work. What transmission do I need, what ECM would I need or would I have to replace the one in the truck, how hard would it be, should I just try and rebuild the automatic myself? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:50 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob Wenstrup
Hello, I have a 1999 ram 1500, it has the 5.2 magnum and the 46re transmission in it. I bought the truck with a rebuilt transmission. Not long after I bought it, it blew cooler lines to the transmission. While replacing them, I cracked the housing where the fitting goes in. I pulled a transmission from my local junk yard but it didn’t work, however the case is good. I’m not experienced in automatic transmissions and I do not have the money to pay to have it rebuilt nor the money to buy a reman. I was considering swapping a manual into it, I’ve rebuilt several manuals and I know how they work. What transmission do I need, what ECM would I need or would I have to replace the one in the truck, how hard would it be, should I just try and rebuild the automatic myself? Thanks in advance for any help.
​​​​​​ You have a few options. There is a whole youtube series on rebuilding the 46RE that literally walks you through the steps. I would take the internals from the good one and sweep it into the junkyard case.

Now if you are like me and just like manuals more here is what you will need. A NV3500 from a 1500 truck asking with the front driveshaft and obviously the pedals, shifter, manual crank sensor, and the center console with the boots. You don't have to change the computer you will just have a check engine light and you can also buy a manual tune if the light bothers you.

Quick Reply: Transmissions