2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram 1500 transmission harness issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021 | 08:58 PM
Itsnotatumor
|
Default 98 ram 1500 transmission harness issue

I have 98 ram 1500 I bought to fix up. I'm having an issue with it not shifting out of first. It need a new solenoid 8 way connector, but it's throwing a code for output shaft sensor. Looked at it, and there's no connector on the harness for it. The sensor is there but there's nothing to plug into it. Also, the vehicle speed sensor harness wires are spliced together and has a orange wire loose on the connector side. The dude I bought it from said it's a transmission swap, but why would there be no connector for the output shaft sensor connector. And how would I remedy this?

Old 04-16-2021 | 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

On the 98, there is no Vehicle speed sensor connector, as there wasn't a VSS provision on the trans, or t-case. (depending on number of drive wheels) Speedometer got its cue from the rear wheel speed sensor. (sensor on top of the rear diff.)

If I had to hazard a guess, I would suspect the harness plugged into the VSS, actually goes to the output speed sensor, as the VSS isn't used. Grab the service manual for your truck from here, wiring diagrams are in section 8W. Should be able to figger out what goes where.

Quick Reply: 98 ram 1500 transmission harness issue