2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight switch melted

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 11:31 AM
SATIN5.9RAM
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight switch melted

Been all over google. Got a 96 ram 1500 with clearance lights. Got the whole headlight switch melt going on. Lmc has a harness but it’s pricey to get to Canada and I’m doing a whole lot of other stuff so wanna save some money. Just want to know a simple way to get theses lights safe and working properly again. Got a new switch and pig tail but haven’t put it in yet cuz I wanna address the real issue before I fry the new parts.
so.
if I tap into the headlight hot wire with a relay for each light and an in-line fuse for each then I’m good? Saw this one guy said tap into the negative wire? Bit confused.
thanks for the help

Old 04-22-2021, 01:15 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

The easiest (not most elegant) way would be two relays driven off the red/orange (high beam) and violet/white (low beam) wires. Power to the relays from the battery with a 40A in-line fuse. New wiring from the relay to the headlights.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:26 PM
SATIN5.9RAM
Amateur

Originally Posted by DerTruck
The easiest (not most elegant) way would be two relays driven off the red/orange (high beam) and violet/white (low beam) wires. Power to the relays from the battery with a 40A in-line fuse. New wiring from the relay to the headlights.
awesome! Thanks man!
what gauge wire should I use? And just spade connect to the headlight switch then eh

Old 04-22-2021, 07:14 PM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a meltdown too and after replacing the switch I also installed the relay from LMC and yes, it is pricey. But I can tell you that what I noticed is, even with the relay installed, the dash on top of where the switch is got warm. I found out that since it's a dimmer switch, if I have my dash lights on full at might instead of dimmed, the switch doesn't get hot, so you may not need to install the relay, just don't dim your dash lights at might. That may save you from another burned out switch, which has been a problem with these trucks.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:45 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

I converted my truck to sport style headlights so I could see better at night (4 headlight bulbs with sport headlights vs. 2 headlight bulbs for the stock headlights). To get the most out of the new headlights and not melt my headlight switch, I purchased a relay/fused style harness from these folks - https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ion-relay-kit/

While pricey, the harness is very well made and was very easy to install. In addition, the headlights are now really bright and I can see much better while driving at night.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:08 PM
SATIN5.9RAM
Amateur

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I converted my truck to sport style headlights so I could see better at night (4 headlight bulbs with sport headlights vs. 2 headlight bulbs for the stock headlights). To get the most out of the new headlights and not melt my headlight switch, I purchased a relay/fused style harness from these folks - https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ion-relay-kit/

While pricey, the harness is very well made and was very easy to install. In addition, the headlights are now really bright and I can see much better while driving at night.
LMC isn’t sounding so pricey now bah!

Old 04-23-2021, 03:25 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SATIN5.9RAM
awesome! Thanks man!
what gauge wire should I use? And just spade connect to the headlight switch then eh
18g is fine, realistically the headlamps pull less than 15A together in normal operation. You can use the wires close to one of the headlights as control for the relays, no need to do anything inside. You need to cut them anyways.

Last edited by DerTruck; 04-23-2021 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:42 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

There was recall for the 3500's but as you found out it effects the other trucks also. Problem is the amount of amps running threw the headlight switch. Over time it heat's up and melts, You can install a relay for the headlights but you still have the same amount of amps running threw the switch for the driving lights(there are two terminals,one headlights one driving lights). Putting relays on both is the way to solve the issue. You also can change to led lights witch will cut down the amp load threw the switch.

Quick Reply: Headlight switch melted