2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Steven Jones
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help trans problems

I posted yesterday about losing all my trans fluid. Quick overview going down the highway yesterday i lost all gear shifting ability pulled over and there was a massive puddle of t fluid under the front of the truck. Got it home looked it over found out the transmission coolant hose had disconnected from the radiator. Well i fixed that and i dont have any visible leaks.

so i filled her back up with trans fluid a quart at a time. And ive so far put three quarts in. And when i checked it again it says i have NO FLUID. Anyone have any idea how much it holds or if i have a problem somehwere. It definitely still doesnt leave first gear

Old 04-24-2021, 12:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Jones
I posted yesterday about losing all my trans fluid. Quick overview going down the highway yesterday i lost all gear shifting ability pulled over and there was a massive puddle of t fluid under the front of the truck. Got it home looked it over found out the transmission coolant hose had disconnected from the radiator. Well i fixed that and i dont have any visible leaks.

so i filled her back up with trans fluid a quart at a time. And ive so far put three quarts in. And when i checked it again it says i have NO FLUID. Anyone have any idea how much it holds or if i have a problem somehwere. It definitely still doesnt leave first gear
The truck has to be on gear to check the fluid. It holds 4-6 when changing the filter or 17 if it is completely empty

Old 04-24-2021, 12:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The truck has to be on gear to check the fluid. It holds 4-6 when changing the filter or 17 if it is completely empty
Check fluid level in neutral. It's safer.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check fluid level in neutral. It's safer.
True I should have said can't be in park. I always checked it in Drive with the back wheels chocked in the front and back

Old 04-26-2021, 01:26 PM
monc440
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing don't try to move it with low fluid. It could have just enough pressure to start building pressure on the clutches and then slip under load resulting in burnt forward clutch.

I usually fill it not running until I see the fluid is about a half inch above the fill line on the dip stick then start the engine, place it in neutral and top it off to the full line.

Last edited by monc440; 04-26-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Help trans problems