2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bucking and bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 11:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Update

Threw a p0172 on the way back and on a slight Hill couldn't go over 30mph. I unplugged the front O2 sensor and no change. Now my girlfriend would fill the truck up to where the gas was right below the gas cap, because she got tired of stopping for gas (this problem can cause crap mileage). Now I'm thinking it might be the charcoal canister, or maybe the map sensor.

Do they even make replacement charcoal canisters for these trucks?

Old 06-09-2021, 01:19 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

The charcoal canister can be flooded by topping off too much but I don't know if it would cause a rich condition. You can just disconnect the purge solenoid which would obviously cause EVAP DTCs but seals off the canister from the intake. Thinking of it, check the purge solenoid for proper operation because if it's stuck open it can cause all sorts of drivability issues.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Code is for bank one, P0172 1/1 Fuel System Rich. You have 4 or 2 02's?

Old 06-09-2021, 08:48 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had similar issues when my camshaft position sensor (pickup coil to the parts counter guys) was on its way out, the engine was acting like it had no power and was bucking then if I shut it off I couldn't start it again until it cooled down.
I would test the injectors since they're out in the open and easy to check, my old camaro had two bad injectors and it had a big time running issue with 1/3 of them not squirting like they should.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:57 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by DerTruck
The charcoal canister can be flooded by topping off too much but I don't know if it would cause a rich condition. You can just disconnect the purge solenoid which would obviously cause EVAP DTCs but seals off the canister from the intake. Thinking of it, check the purge solenoid for proper operation because if it's stuck open it can cause all sorts of drivability issues.
I'm going to try that today if it acts up. Fuel trims were maxed out when this was going on
Originally Posted by Moparite
Code is for bank one, P0172 1/1 Fuel System Rich. You have 4 or 2 02's?
2 O2s
Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I had similar issues when my camshaft position sensor (pickup coil to the parts counter guys) was on its way out, the engine was acting like it had no power and was bucking then if I shut it off I couldn't start it again until it cooled down.
I would test the injectors since they're out in the open and easy to check, my old camaro had two bad injectors and it had a big time running issue with 1/3 of them not squirting like they should.
I'll throw that sensor on the scope and check it out

The following users liked this post:
guzman200 (10-11-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 12:11 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I know these gas tanks are supposed to be "vented." However, if the purge system is **** up or the tank is developing a vacuum above the remaining fuel as it drains out, it can cause a very gradual/insidious fuel starvation issue. The easiest way to see if that's the problem is to leave the gas cap off n see if the problem subsides.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by true blue
I know these gas tanks are supposed to be "vented." However, if the purge system is **** up or the tank is developing a vacuum above the remaining fuel as it drains out, it can cause a very gradual/insidious fuel starvation issue. The easiest way to see if that's the problem is to leave the gas cap off n see if the problem subsides.
I tried that to didn't work I also listened to see if air escaped when opening the gas cap.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:04 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

So my next strategy is it wait until it starts acting up and try unplugging the purge solenoid. I'm ohming it the injectors tomorrow to see if one is bad. I don't believe it's the crank sensor but I did see a small spike in the graph. To my eyes it's nothing but it could be something. Cam sensor had the same spike at the same time to, which I find weird.

It does have a rough idle

Old 06-10-2021, 06:32 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

I'll check the temps tomorrow after coming back from my NY trip
Did you see what the temp does? Staying to low will tell the pcm to feed more fuel thinking it cold.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:52 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
Did you see what the temp does? Staying to low will tell the pcm to feed more fuel thinking it cold.
Yes sorry thought I included that. The temps were pretty spot on. Coolant temp matched the radiator. The IAT seemed to be normal to.

Quick Reply: Bucking and bogging down