2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 D44 axle seals and intermediate shaft bearing (or bushing?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 09:32 PM
87shadowES
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot thank you enough for this post/write-up. I am going through a D44 rebuild right now and this bearing/seal install & removal has been a bit of a question mark. I've seen people fabbing up seal drives from hole-saws, which I might need to resort to still due to no lathe access. The seal driver method for bearing is awesome, I will be going to Harbor Freight or Amazon soon for a set for this purpose now. Also, a full puller/slide hammer set with a two & three arm puller has proven to be VERY useful thus far for me. Mainly in disassembling the U-joints from the axle halves & stub axles.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:21 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 87shadowES
I cannot thank you enough for this post/write-up. I am going through a D44 rebuild right now and this bearing/seal install & removal has been a bit of a question mark. I've seen people fabbing up seal drives from hole-saws, which I might need to resort to still due to no lathe access. The seal driver method for bearing is awesome, I will be going to Harbor Freight or Amazon soon for a set for this purpose now. Also, a full puller/slide hammer set with a two & three arm puller has proven to be VERY useful thus far for me. Mainly in disassembling the U-joints from the axle halves & stub axles.
I'm glad it was helpful! I know my "write-ups" are lengthy and if they make sense at all it only really makes sense once you're knee-deep in it, so the casual reader just thinks I'm weird (SWMBO assures me I am)

If you're talking pressing out u-joints themselves, I pretty much exclusively use a BJ press held in a vise with an electric impact (2767) on the spindle. I also have the Tiger Tools but they're just not my favorite for whatever reason... I reinstall with a nice ball pein.

Quick Reply: 1500 D44 axle seals and intermediate shaft bearing (or bushing?)