2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Ram 2500 cab swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 02:52 PM
02Dodge1985
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Ram 2500 cab swap?

Hey guys and gals, I am working on a 2002 Ram 2500. I am in the process of changing to a rust free cab. I have watched videos and they all suggest the same process. I have come across a snag that Isnt mentioned in any how To videos. I have disconnected the harness from under the dash near the column and pushed them through the large hole in the firewall. Beside the large hole is a smaller hole that I think is used on Manual transmission trucks. This is where the previous owner chose to run some auxiliary wiring for a stereo and extra lighting. I have removed al the extra wiring except 2 wires that I can not figure out how to disconnect. The wires run to the headlight switch but and then through this hole into a relay and then carrying forward to to the headlight harness. I'm not sure this is how it would have been wired from the factory and Im guessing somebody has been in here messing around. My only options are to cut the 2 wires and see what happens later. or figure out how to back feed the plugs from the headlight switch, backwards through the dash, but even then I highly doubt these 2 wires don't join into the dash harness somewhere else making it impossible to remove. the pictures show the wiring... the one wire runs to the back of the plug that can not fit through any hole to get it fished out.

Any help would be appreciated.
Josh

Old 07-14-2021, 05:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Yeah, that's somebody elses butcher job on the wiring...... Think I would just remove all of it, then fix it right once the cab is in place.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:37 PM
02Dodge1985

I looked at the wiring some more. It looks like its for the fog-lights. Its not a lot of harness to remove, I thought it was more. I will just tuck it up into the cab incase I need it later.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:57 PM
Dodgemonkey95

That hole normally has a rubber plug in it. My truck came with aftermarket fog lights wired in through a slice in the plug too, also going to a loose relay zip tied to another wire. The proper thing to do would be to install that loose relay into the fuse box with a proper power feed and fuse, then run the wires into the cab along with the main harness. I'm not swapping cabs, so all I did was clean up the wiring, put some loom on, and secured the relay better. As far as removal goes, I would just cut the wires. If you're really worried, you can colour code them with coloured electrical tape or zip ties. Good luck

Old 07-14-2021, 07:43 PM
02Dodge1985

Sounds like the exact same thing as mine. I figured these lights are from the factory but maybe they were added after as well. I just unplugged the sockets from the lights and disconnected one additional wire where they tapped into the factory harness im assuming as a power source. It will be easy to replicate it in the new cab now that I see how it was all connected. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: 2002 Ram 2500 cab swap?