2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What to do with my 02 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Liedra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to do with my 02 Ram 1500

Sorry but this might be a bit lengthy,

I have an 02 Ram 1500 quad cab with 5.9 and just recently have started to have some issues. I am trying to figure out if it would be worth it to throw about 10k at it to make it like new or purchase a used/new truck. It only has 154k miles on it and other than the not deciding to start yesterday has had almost no issues.

The only issues with the truck are:
Damaged front bumper due to a slow speed impact
Cracked Dash
Currently doesn't start due to what may be a fuel pump.
A/C Turns off after 3 min of continuous use on max (Will run fine on 3 or below indefinitely)
Radiator fan doesn't seem to keep everything cool after sitting at idle with max everything on after about 20 min but if driving at all never even notice
Passenger rear door lock doesn't actuate electrically
Pealing clear coat and some paint on the drivers side door and front quarter panel
Driver side rear light is out
Washer fluid revivor doesn't retain fluid

Wants
Add new stereo to bring everything up to date
Add backup camera

I am trying to figure out what the best course is as i can buy a new truck or fix this one but I do robotics not automotive. Any ideas from anyone would be great.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Whether it is worth it or not is up to you. If you plan on keeping the truck, then 10K is likely less than you would spend on a used truck, certainly less than a new one. If you like the truck, go for it.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:16 AM
JCannon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed, I have an 02 ram 1500 and Ive done a lot of wrench twisting on it, but I go mudding sometimes so you can pretty much figure on that. over all everything you've listed is not to expensive to fix, especially if your familiar with tools and youtube.Theres tons of videos and dodges are pleasantly easy to work on in my opinion.. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:40 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

If the truck hasn't developed a bad case of rust in the frame or body, its a great candidate to be restored. All of the items you've mentioned are repairable. If the truck's body doesn't need a lot of body work, a decent paint job can be done by Maaco. Just depends on how you'd like to proceed. Repairing the truck is certainly cheaper than buying a new truck.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:41 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Liedra
Sorry but this might be a bit lengthy,

I have an 02 Ram 1500 quad cab with 5.9 and just recently have started to have some issues. I am trying to figure out if it would be worth it to throw about 10k at it to make it like new or purchase a used/new truck. It only has 154k miles on it and other than the not deciding to start yesterday has had almost no issues.

The only issues with the truck are:
Damaged front bumper due to a slow speed impact
Cracked Dash
Currently doesn't start due to what may be a fuel pump.
A/C Turns off after 3 min of continuous use on max (Will run fine on 3 or below indefinitely)
Radiator fan doesn't seem to keep everything cool after sitting at idle with max everything on after about 20 min but if driving at all never even notice
Passenger rear door lock doesn't actuate electrically
Pealing clear coat and some paint on the drivers side door and front quarter panel
Driver side rear light is out
Washer fluid revivor doesn't retain fluid

Wants
Add new stereo to bring everything up to date
Add backup camera

I am trying to figure out what the best course is as i can buy a new truck or fix this one but I do robotics not automotive. Any ideas from anyone would be great.

If you WANT a new truck, get one. With the one you have, you know what you've got. I'll bet most of your issues are just minor maintenance. A/C freezing up and the radiator not keeping it cool while idling may just be dirt and bogs in the fins of both cooling units. There will be no real depreciation on your truck. That jingle jangle you hear when you drive off the lot with a new vehicle is money falling out the tail pipe.

To me, I prefer the older stuff as it has character, is tested over time, and with my current Ram, people don't cut me off in traffic. If your body and frame is in good shape, I would fix it up a bit and drive it. Then again, I'm chea...er....thrifty. I've been known to trade favors. Find someone who needs computer work and is good on cars and trade labor. Maybe have an oil field bumper made, or get a custom grill guard bumper for the front bumper. For instance, I put a clutch in a friends cars after his wife burned it out. In return, he represented me in court and I kept my license. It was worth it to me.

Quick Reply: What to do with my 02 Ram 1500