2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2500 V10 4x4 oil pan removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 02:08 PM
Solochaos1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 V10 4x4 oil pan removal

Hello new here
so I'm having trouble getting this oil pan out and I seen other post on how to remove it but I don't have the funds to buy or rent an engine hoist is there any tricks I can do to get the oil pan out?

Old 08-06-2021, 05:17 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Try loosening the through bolts on the motor mounts. There are some cast in pads in front of the bellhousing, you may be able to post a small hydraulic jack up there. Should be enough overhead clearance to get past the pickup and counterweights. If there is an oval gasket in your pan kit, you can pull the oil pickup. Be sure to put it back carefully. I have a half ton in my driveway I bought with a seized engine because some monkey didn't put the pickup back on after the pan removal trick.

The following users liked this post:
Solochaos1 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:37 PM
Solochaos1

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
Try loosening the through bolts on the motor mounts. There are some cast in pads in front of the bellhousing, you may be able to post a small hydraulic jack up there. Should be enough overhead clearance to get past the pickup and counterweights. If there is an oval gasket in your pan kit, you can pull the oil pickup. Be sure to put it back carefully. I have a half ton in my driveway I bought with a seized engine because some monkey didn't put the pickup back on after the pan removal trick.
Thank you so much I'll try that and let you know how it went

Old 08-07-2021, 01:09 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I had to pull my pan to retrieve a washer I dropped in the top of my v10. It takes some skill but unbolt the oil pump pickup tube and let it fall in the pan. Then it should come right out with a little finesse. The tricky part is holding up the pan and starting pickup tube bolt at the same time. When you re-install. Don't forget to put the gasket up before you bolt the tube in.

The following users liked this post:
Solochaos1 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Solochaos1

Originally Posted by adukart
I had to pull my pan to retrieve a washer I dropped in the top of my v10. It takes some skill but unbolt the oil pump pickup tube and let it fall in the pan. Then it should come right out with a little finesse. The tricky part is holding up the pan and starting pickup tube bolt at the same time. When you re-install. Don't forget to put the gasket up before you bolt the tube in.
I'll try that and let you know how I do

Quick Reply: 2500 V10 4x4 oil pan removal