2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram Brake problems - need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 08:58 AM
MarkYel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Change the soft lines up front. Probably wouldn't hurt to do the rear line as well, they are all the same age.....
Ordered front calipers and front hose lines last night. Did not think to order back lines.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkYel
Ordered front calipers and front hose lines last night. Did not think to order back lines.
Probably don't need calipers...... But, if they are cheap, go for it.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:55 PM
MarkYel

Probably don't need calipers...... But, if they are cheap, go for it.
Not super expensive rockauto, core charge is more than the calipers.. Am very ready to resolve this issue. Couldn't have any thing to do with the front speed sensors, ABS pump assy, or power assist? Been doing my brakes since the early 80's, but never had a problem like this, usually straight forward. Or maybe I just don't remember 🤔

Old 08-19-2021, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The ABS system tends to be rather noisy when active. That, and the pedal kinda jumps around under your foot. Once you have it back together, go find a dirt road, and STOMP your brakes a few times to get the ABS to kick in. Knowing what it feels like is a good idea. Seen too many folks surprised by it, and lift their foot off the brake. (and then hit what they were trying to avoid.....)

Old 08-19-2021, 02:00 PM
MarkYel

The ABS system tends to be rather noisy when active. That, and the pedal kinda jumps around under your foot. Once you have it back together, go find a dirt road, and STOMP your brakes a few times to get the ABS to kick in. Knowing what it feels like is a good idea. Seen too many folks surprised by it, and lift their foot off the brake. (and then hit what they were trying to avoid.....)
Have felt the pedal jump under foot when braking in the parking garage. Main problem was pedal would not go down until stood on hard, very hard. Once it makes it past that point works like it usually does. Just would not stop until I put most of my weight on pedal. Very tight garage any you have to get very near the wall and cut very hard to make a 90deg turn. So does ABS do nothing until it detects a wheel slip?
driving home yesterday,, brake light and ABS lights c ame on again but before I got to the offramp it had gone back off. Tried going by the local parts house to see if any codes stored, but their reader will not read ABS codes, at least that is what they said.
thanks

Old 08-19-2021, 02:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, a lot of the parts stores won't read ABS codes.... Liability reasons they say. (which seems reasonable) Around here though, the readers they have WILL talk to ABS, so, I just borrow the reader, and do it myself. I don't know of a way to get ABS codes without a reader though.

That said, ABS shouldn't do anything until it sees a wheel speed that is out of line with the rest. Unfortunately, a bad speed sensor can cause all sorts of interesting issues, and set codes...... With 4WAL, you NEED to know what the system is whining about, in order to solve the issue.

As for your brake pedal, I wonder if that isn't a mechanical issue?? Brake rod not quite aligned properly, so it acts as a brace until you get it past a certain point?

Old 08-19-2021, 03:00 PM
MarkYel

Yeah, a lot of the parts stores won't read ABS codes.... Liability reasons they say. (which seems reasonable) Around here though, the readers they have WILL talk to ABS, so, I just borrow the reader, and do it myself. I don't know of a way to get ABS codes without a reader though.

That said, ABS shouldn't do anything until it sees a wheel speed that is out of line with the rest. Unfortunately, a bad speed sensor can cause all sorts of interesting issues, and set codes...... With 4WAL, you NEED to know what the system is whining about, in order to solve the issue.

As for your brake pedal, I wonder if that isn't a mechanical issue?? Brake rod not quite aligned properly, so it acts as a brace until you get it past a certain point?
I guess it could be mechanical drag but doesn't feel like it.. weird feel, like you are trying to compress something the all of the sudden gets easier. At least doesn't feel like it is in the cab, course I could be wrong.*

Old 08-20-2021, 07:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you have vacuum boost, or hydraboost?

Old 08-20-2021, 05:50 PM
MarkYel

Do you have vacuum boost, or hydraboost?
power assist powered by power steering

Old 08-20-2021, 07:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkYel
power assist powered by power steering
That's hydroboost

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram Brake problems - need help