2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't start after transmission replace

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 08:08 PM
kkresge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start after transmission replace

I finished a new transmission install and had the truck running for a little over a day, ran well. today went to start it and it try's to turn over but will not start not even a sputter. This may be a totally separate issue but wanted to see if there could be a issue with the transmission preventing the truck to start.

Topped off the transmission fluid was low (had to check this anyway after diving it for a few miles)
checked all the electrical connection all hooked up and seated well
Checked the shift and linkage - appears to be in the correct position when in park
Starter is engages when key turned
Tried both park and neutral

Just find it odd that the truck won't start just after replacing the transmission

Any suggestions?

Old 09-06-2021, 08:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by kkresge
I finished a new transmission install and had the truck running for a little over a day, ran well. today went to start it and it try's to turn over but will not start not even a sputter. This may be a totally separate issue but wanted to see if there could be a issue with the transmission preventing the truck to start.

Topped off the transmission fluid was low (had to check this anyway after diving it for a few miles)
checked all the electrical connection all hooked up and seated well
Checked the shift and linkage - appears to be in the correct position when in park
Starter is engages when key turned
Tried both park and neutral

Just find it odd that the truck won't start just after replacing the transmission

Any suggestions?
Did you remove the crank sensor when replacing the transmission?

Old 09-06-2021, 11:19 PM
kkresge

No they used the old sensors

Old 09-07-2021, 12:34 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

No they used the old sensors
If they didn't remove it, it could have gotten damaged. I would check there. What are you missing fuel or spark?

Old 09-07-2021, 06:20 PM
kkresge

looks like I am missing spark tried to get spark off the coil and nothing, replaced the coil and still no spark. The coil was available from the auto parts store so was easy to change out but had to order a new crank sensor, hoping that will solve the issue. Would a faulty crank sensor prevent the coil from getting power?

Old 09-07-2021, 09:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

looks like I am missing spark tried to get spark off the coil and nothing, replaced the coil and still no spark. The coil was available from the auto parts store so was easy to change out but had to order a new crank sensor, hoping that will solve the issue. Would a faulty crank sensor prevent the coil from getting power?
Yep problem is these trucks only like Mopar sensors. Aftermarket may work but will most likely fail within 3 months

The following users liked this post:
PR1AWRet (09-08-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 09:20 PM
Webalchermist
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem...
DO you have any engine codes?
When you turn the key do you hear the fuel systems relay and fuel pump pressurize?

I had a problem where my transmission connector shorted the PCM and fried it. Even though the truck would turn over, it would not even try to start. In my case the Fried ECM was not powering up several systems.
I also had an error code on my odometer, "no Bus"

Quick Reply: Truck won't start after transmission replace