2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help: 46RE - rebuilt it - first road test fries front band

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 09:02 PM
Webalchermist
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help: 46RE - rebuilt it - first road test fries front band

Hey everyone, as the title says, I rebuilt my 46re. During the process I also Fried my ECM and bought a remanufactured one.

I reinstalled the transmission and (once I replaced the ECM) road tested the truck.

I was getting no low gear. I could put the truck in reverse and in D, but if I turned the wheel too far to the stops ( loaded the engine ) or tried to put the truck in 2 or 1, the engine would die.

SInce the new ECM was still learning the truck, I hoped maybe I needed to just warm it and train it on various driving conditions.

Sadly, I should have stopped right away when I was getting no low gear.

On the road test I totally smoked / destroyed the front band and some warped clutches in the forward clutch also.

It's almost as if the forward clutch was locked in engage and when the band tried to hold the drum to change the condition, the clutch inside was not working properly.

I'm new to transmissions so I'm welcoming any tips that can point me in the right direction of testing and repairing why my forward clutch is not operating properly.

When it over heated, it also melted the plastic port on the pump. Photo Included

Can I just cut away the melted part and use it as is or is this a precision part.

Many thanks in advance.

UPDATE:::::::::::::::::::::
Just letting everyone know some updates...
This was my first ever transmission rebuild.
In the end, I never needed to rebuild it because the actual problem was in the torque converter. However I didn't know that until i took the whole thing apart and saw that actually the clutches all looked pretty new.

Apparently I fried the torque converter by not using tow mode when I was hauling over 1 ton of material repeatedly in my 3/4 ton truck.

So, I also fried the Power Control Module when I was re-installing the transmission because I did not see there were exposed wires touching each other in the transmission connector wiring.
I also installed the front servo cover upside down, which made it so the servo didn't function properly and I totally melted the band and overheated the transmission.
I also misassembled the valve body TCC valve and this caused no stall / truck dies in 1 or 2.

After removing the transmission 3 times and removing the Valve body a fourth time, I was finally able to get it all correct and working great!
I certainly earned my stripes and I think I'll do much better on any other transmission rebuilds in the future, like my durango that's next in line!

Last edited by Webalchermist; 10-11-2021 at 04:29 PM. Reason: PROGRESS UPDATE POSTED TO BOTTOM OF DESCRIPTION
Old 09-09-2021, 09:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

That plastic piece is the transmission breather need that at least open so the transmission can achieve equal pressure

Old 09-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Webalchermist
Amateur

So I can just cut it open and not worry if it's a bit mangled?

Old 09-09-2021, 09:30 PM
Webalchermist
Amateur

I'm going to try this

air test my front clutch with it on the pump

Old 09-09-2021, 09:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Webalchermist
So I can just cut it open and not worry if it's a bit mangled?
As long as it can breathe

Old 09-10-2021, 01:09 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Looks like you are going to need to replace the front pump.

Quick Reply: Please help: 46RE - rebuilt it - first road test fries front band