2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 climate control module

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 11:11 AM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 climate control module

Hey everyone. I think I messed up this weekend. I needed a new vent selector **** for my climate control module. I was at a local auto parts store this weekend getting a blower motor for my wifes car and thought since I'm here I'll see if I can get a new ****. They had a dorman kit in stock with all 3 *****. I know the temp and vent **** are different I found out. Anyhow, I was trying to push the new **** on with a little more force than should have been applied when it popped and felt like the **** made it on. Seconds later I discovered the fans now do not work. I pulled the vent **** off and noticed it looked like the stem was pushed further back than it was. I pulled it back out and the fan started working. Let go of the stem and the fan quits as the stem sucks itself back into the module. Pull the stem back out and fan works. Repeat. I feel I broke whatever holds that stem out where it should be.

Before I find time to tear the module out and have a look, anyone know what could possibly be broke and if there's any saving it? Auto parts stores want $500 for a new module. Ebay has used ones for much cheaper, so I'll likely go that route. But thought I'd see if there's a fix for it first before I order a new used one. Overall that day, I fixed two rigs, my wifes car, the farm pickup f150 and then broke mine haha.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

I don't think there are any 'user serviceable' parts in there. Likely have to pull it, and have a look. See whats up. Might be an easy fix.... Might not.

The following users liked this post:
chromed95 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 05:15 PM
chromed95
Captain

Update and another question. I fixed it. I took the bezel off last night to have a look. Pulled the module out and found on the back of the module the vent selector could be removed separate from the module. I saw it had been pushed out, so I pushed it back in and it snapped back into place and stays there. The fan works all the time now. So, tragedy avoided.

The next question. I noticed now when driving on the highway in particular, I can have the fan setting at the lowest setting and the air coming out of the vents definitely feels like it's on at least the 2nd setting. Slow down off the highway and the fan goes to normal first position speed. All positions blow as they should, just on the highway, I'm definitely getting more air through the vents vs stopped or driving slow. Almost as if there is more air being forced into the system by highway wind. What could cause that? Where to start looking?

Last edited by chromed95; 09-15-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

The hvac system draws air from the base of the windshield, at speed, this is a high-pressure area, so, the fan works better. Even with the fan off, you get a fair bit of airflow.

The following users liked this post:
chromed95 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:56 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The hvac system draws air from the base of the windshield, at speed, this is a high-pressure area, so, the fan works better. Even with the fan off, you get a fair bit of airflow.
I guess I never noticed before until something goes wrong! Then I pay more attention

Quick Reply: 1995 climate control module