2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help Diagnosing Multiple DTC's

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 07:23 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help Diagnosing Multiple DTC's

Hey Everyone,

Been a while since my last visit......Life's been kicking my ***.

Got a bit of an issue here, a while back, (probably 30K miles or so) I had the PCM repaired for the 2nd time In the last 5 years. The truck is pushing 250K on mileage with the original motor, plus a few upgrades (the truck is in sig).
Now the 4x4 isn't working (like you can shift into 4H or 4L but the front axle doesn't engage, no 4WD light on the dash, and no DTC. However, I do have DTC's P0113, P1683, P0711, and P0455.

P0113 I just (hopefully) fixed it with a new IAT sensor that's been sitting on my kitchen counter waiting for me to have the chance to put it in.

P0455 has been plaguing me for years....I've chased down and replaced rubber hoses, gas caps, pulled and visually inspected charcoal canister, the truck is on its 3rd or 4th fuel pump and those lines have all been checked.

P0711 The trans temp sensor - I have a scan tool but it's a cheap Launch Creader VII+ and it's getting to the point it needs to be replaced. However, it did show the trans fluid temp to be at -4 degrees Fahrenheit while the truck had been running for 10 minutes.....My question is, can you test the sensor or should I just replace it? Also is the sensor accessible without dropping the pan?

P1683 Is the one that's really got me stumped on where to begin checking. I'd much rather do the diagnostics than just start throwing money into parts that don't fix the problem. My concern is, what if the PCM is what's going out and throwing all these codes? I know I can test sensors, and relays, and check fuses and electrical circuits for ground, continuity, resistance, etc. but assuming everything checks out, can one test their PCM without having to send it off? I ask because right now this is our only running vehicle. My son's 2005 Stratus is currently in my shop getting new head gaskets, timing chain set, etc., and our other vehicle (1996 Isuzu Trooper) is waiting for me to put out these fires so I can rebuild that transmission.

Needless to say, this would not be a good time to have a bad PCM lol

Old 10-18-2021, 12:45 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

P0113 and P0711 are related to pretty simple temperature sensors. The IAT should read in the 10s of kOhms at normal temperatures and below 10 kOhms when the air temperature is higher (say 80F+). There is a table in the FSM that has more detailed info but for the purpose of figuring out if it's broken this will suffice. The trans temp sensor is similar (don't have the data for it) but if the scan tool showed -4F that would indicate the circuit is open, either the sensor is broken or the wiring to it.

EVAP leaks are always fun. Maybe pay somebody with a proper smoke machine to pinpoint the leak. Or if you have a good air source that you can dial down to 1-2 psi you might be able to hear the air escaping. As the fuel pump has been changed, was the gasket changed as well ? That's where mine was leaking...

P1683 is related to the cruise control, again some sort of circuit code. Could be as simple as the brake light switch which has a separate set of contacts for the cruise control. Other possibilities are the servo, maybe the ground for the servo.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:50 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The 1683 is only showing because you have other codes. I don’t believe that one is a hard code to pop on light on its own.

I was riddled with codes about 2 weeks ago, found my battery was weak but bolt gauge showed good, had to put actual battery tester on it to see it was bad.

while I got new battery I zip tied the positive and negative terminals together. 1200 miles later no engine light still…(it’s hunting season I put a lot of miles on in October/November)

Old 12-09-2021, 07:28 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry it took so long to reply, I threw my back out 3 times in 2 weeks, (once on thanksgiving day) and just got busy playing catch-up. I wanted to thank you guys and the members of this forum in general for all the help. Not only this time but over the years. I replaced the IAT sensor and that cleared. cleared the codes and the only one to come back has been my old nemesis 0455. I'll worry about tracking it down in the spring when it warms up outside. I'm working in a dirt floor uninsulated shop lol

Quick Reply: Need Help Diagnosing Multiple DTC's