2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water Pump Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 10:41 PM
mjjdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Pulley

Hi,

I'm changing my water pump on my 2000 5.9 Ram 1500. I bought and installed the new water pump without a pulley without thinking about the Pulley still attached to my old water pump. Are there Pulley's available that bolt on, or is my only option to have a new one pressed on at a machine shop?

TIA, Rich

Old 12-08-2021, 12:45 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

I've never seen a new 5.9 magnum water pump without the pulley on it. If you check RockAuto.com, all of the water pumps they sell for the 5.9 magnum engines have the pulley on it. I wonder if the manufacturer had a bad day and just forgot to install the pulley before plopping the water pump into the box and selling it?

Old 12-08-2021, 12:52 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yep, it should've come with it installed. You can rent a pulley remover/installer kit from parts stores.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:41 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Echoing what the others have said, typically they come with the pulley installed. I did however get one like yours without a pulley once. Since then, I now own more specialty tools, including a few pulley puller/installer kits because I got tired of having to go rent/borrow them from the parts stores or friends. I even ask for them as gifts lol. It's one of those things... Yes, you can use the loaner tool program, or just pick up a tool here and there when you have extra cash. For me, well worth the investment. The time and aggravation saved, not to mention the money saved on fuel running to the parts store makes it worth it.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Pulley