2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle linkage stuck WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 09:34 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Throttle linkage stuck WOT?

Got a call from an elderly lady today whose '98 1500 I service. Manual trans, 5.9

She's on side of road, says vehicle revving uncontrollably. I asked her to start it while on the phone with me, she reports tach is "in the red." I don't know where rev limiter comes in? BUT I tell her ok shut it down.

I went to help, jostled throttle cables at throttle body (accelerator and cruise), heard and felt a little "pop" and all was well. It was snowing, cold, side of highway. I couldn't determine exactly what caused the problem under the K&N intake (don't ask, her deceased husband installed it YEARS ago)

Question is: anyone else experienced this? I'm going to look at it in the future for her, but if I don't see a SMOKING GUN not sure what might be the most likely suspect(s). I mean are there bushings on the butterfly that tend to wear? Or cable housing fittings? Or something else?

Old 12-28-2021, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Maybe binding throttle, or TV cable, possibly it's misrouted? But, I would expect that to cause problems far more often. As it stands, it really isn't safe like that, she should get it over to you at your first available opportunity, to at least have a look.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:36 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

If it's a 1500 it's the 5.2 not 5.9. There is no rev limiter on a manual so it just revs until it blows up. The cables can stretch and snag or get bound up on all the linkage. Need to remove them and lube and inspect all mounting points. They are just held in with plastic clips.

Quick Reply: Throttle linkage stuck WOT?