2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grounding problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 09:50 PM
Steven Jones
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding problem?

Okay guys. So last night i changed the timing cover gasket and went ahead and did the belt because it was leaking coolant. But im having a problem. On the right side of the engine right near the PS pump theres a grounding cable. Actually it looked like two rings with seperate wires. I unfortunately lost the nut that secures them. I went to start the truck and it wouldnt crank. Tried to have someone jump me off and the truck shot spark right from the location of that wire. Maybe i put them in the wrong order? Not sure exactly whats going on here. Also notice the wire was exposed so im about to electrical tape that up.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:14 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Did you replace the nut?
What's a belt have to do with leaking coolant?
How did you replace a timing gasket in just one evening? ?

Old 01-11-2022, 06:31 AM
Steven Jones
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Did you replace the nut?
What's a belt have to do with leaking coolant?
How did you replace a timing gasket in just one evening? ?
no i did not replace the nut yet. I was going to head to the parts store, which is why i was trying to start the truck.

Well my timing cover was leaking coolant and my truck has 297k miles on it. So i figured if i had the timing cover removed it would be a fantastic time to go ahead and do the timing chain!

But my primary concern is the fact that the truck turns over, it had a spark ignition everything. It doesnt stay on. And it shot sparks

Old 01-11-2022, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Cranking the engine requires a fair bit of current, and if it doesn't have a good ground, you are going to have problems. Replace that nut, and that should solve the issue.

Quick Reply: Grounding problem?