2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram 1500 gear indicator/shift lever won’t go into park fully

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 08:13 PM
Sinexay
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
The shift rod should start from the outside of the steering column under the hood. Follow the rod(s) until you see a metal block with a bolt threaded into it's side. The block/bolt on the long rod is your adjuster. Loosen the bolt and make adjustments to the shifter rod, then re-tighten the bolt. Next, try shifting so that all gears can be shifted into. To be fully safe when doing this, I usually jack the truck up and put it on jackstands under the front and rear axles.
I did the what you said and it looks and feels like everything is shifting into the right gears (with car off)

Old 01-14-2022, 08:14 PM
Sinexay
Amateur

Originally Posted by Thomas bridges

This is the linkage that needs adjusted
this picture diagram was very helpful!

Old 01-14-2022, 08:17 PM
Sinexay
Amateur

Originally Posted by master tech
Set the park brake and block the wheels. Get under the truck and see if you have debris stopping the lever from going into park. If there is no debris. Then remove either the cable or shift rod from the lever. Move the transmission lever by hand and see if the transmission will go into park. If you need to make an adjustment, That is under the floor board and either takes a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench to loose. Or 13mm or 14mm..
Did this today and it feels like it’s shifting properly (with the truck off).

Old 01-14-2022, 08:18 PM
Sinexay
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So far as I know, there isn't a brake/trans interlock on these trucks..... (at least, up to early 98......)

The linkage is out of adjustment, or, something is blocking/binding.
I believe the shift rod needed to be adjusted

Quick Reply: 97 Ram 1500 gear indicator/shift lever won’t go into park fully