2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram 1500 gear indicator/shift lever won’t go into park fully

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 03:35 PM
Sinexay
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ram 1500 gear indicator/shift lever won’t go into park fully

I’m having a issue with a 97 Ram 1500 5.9L not going into park fully. The gear indicator/shift lever won’t go into park fully and the indicator isn’t lining up on the gears properly. It won’t start in park or neutral, it actually feels like it skips over neutral. I’ve looked under the truck while having someone shift the gear shifter and the linkage and lever move into gears at the transmission. Is it possible that it needs to be adjusted somehow under the steering colum at the shifter? I’m scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on.. any help Is appreciated!

Old 01-11-2022, 03:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Set the park brake and block the wheels. Get under the truck and see if you have debris stopping the lever from going into park. If there is no debris. Then remove either the cable or shift rod from the lever. Move the transmission lever by hand and see if the transmission will go into park. If you need to make an adjustment, That is under the floor board and either takes a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench to loose. Or 13mm or 14mm..

Old 01-11-2022, 04:54 PM
Sinexay
Amateur

Originally Posted by master tech
Set the park brake and block the wheels. Get under the truck and see if you have debris stopping the lever from going into park. If there is no debris. Then remove either the cable or shift rod from the lever. Move the transmission lever by hand and see if the transmission will go into park. If you need to make an adjustment, That is under the floor board and either takes a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench to loose. Or 13mm or 14mm..
Floorboard as in completely underneath the truck? What bolt or nut at I supposed to look for/adjust?

Old 01-12-2022, 06:29 PM
Sinexay
Amateur
Default Possible issue with BTSI?

There is a clicking noise coming from my dash, someone had suggested I could have a issue with the BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock).. clicking sound, gear indicator kinda has so give alittle extra force and wiggling to get into “park” as much as possible to be able to take keys out of the ignition.. even still the indicator still looks like it’s almost fully “seated” in park, but it feels like something is blocking the indicator needle when shift into and line up on the indicator.
Shifting into other gears feels clunky or sloppy at the steering column shifter.. the transmission lever does moves into gears when I shift at the steering column shifter
Also issue with abs and brake light on dash are on and the brake pedal is stuck pressed to The floor..

Any insight on these issues guys? Anyone had these issues ?

Old 01-12-2022, 07:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

So far as I know, there isn't a brake/trans interlock on these trucks..... (at least, up to early 98......)

The linkage is out of adjustment, or, something is blocking/binding.

The following users liked this post:
Sinexay (01-14-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 07:20 PM
Sinexay
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So far as I know, there isn't a brake/trans interlock on these trucks..... (at least, up to early 98......)

The linkage is out of adjustment, or, something is blocking/binding.
I just took the lower steering column off and I don’t see a btsi solenoid unless i have to take off the steering wheel cover and it’s inside that.. I do see a white adjustment wheel that goes to the shift cable/shift lever.. Turning it which way does what?

Old 01-12-2022, 08:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

That is to adjust the PRNDL, where the little orange marker sits. That isn't going to help you. You need to adjust the linkage first, then you can address the PRNDL, if needed.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:25 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

No brake interlock on any second gens

Old 01-14-2022, 12:36 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Sinexay
I just took the lower steering column off and I don’t see a btsi solenoid unless i have to take off the steering wheel cover and it’s inside that.. I do see a white adjustment wheel that goes to the shift cable/shift lever.. Turning it which way does what?
The shift rod should start from the outside of the steering column under the hood. Follow the rod(s) until you see a metal block with a bolt threaded into it's side. The block/bolt on the long rod is your adjuster. Loosen the bolt and make adjustments to the shifter rod, then re-tighten the bolt. Next, try shifting so that all gears can be shifted into. To be fully safe when doing this, I usually jack the truck up and put it on jackstands under the front and rear axles.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 01-14-2022 at 12:39 AM.
Sinexay (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:51 AM
Thomas bridges
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the linkage that needs adjusted

Sinexay (01-14-2022)

Quick Reply: 97 Ram 1500 gear indicator/shift lever won’t go into park fully