2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlights Blink

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:13 PM
scubaman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights Blink

After the headlights have been on for a while they will start blinking. The drivers in front of me think I am trying to get their attention. If I just use my fog lights for a while they start working for a shour time then start acting up again. Just the other day the radio went from FM to Tape at the same time the headlights started doing thier thing again. I have jiggled the headlight switch doesn't seem to make a difference unless I turn it off then back on again. Is it the switch or another electrical problem I should look at as well.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:27 PM
MGDMike
Champion
Default RE: Headlights Blink

Maybe a short somewhere along the way!!

Old 12-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Koldkut
Rookie

I'd check the relay, fords commonly have this problem....

Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Tani1500
Champion

wow sorry man but thats the funniest problem ive heard in a while the only think i can think of that would do something to both the headlights and the radio is the switch because it dims the radio. im going to say something is messed up in there. dodges have some weird problems with there wiring. im going to look in the manual and see were the harness is. or it could be the relay but i really dont see how it could be.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:18 PM
magnum mike
Rookie

The relay sound like a good place to start, may not be holding properly after it is energized.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:11 PM
4DrMopar
Captain

no, its the switch just replace it...its REAL easy,and its cheap, but get a Dodge part,not aftermarket junk for that.... OH, when you replace it, to get the **** adn shaft out (you have to reuse it).. you have to press the springloaded button on the bottm kinda hard to release the shaft while you pull it out....only takes liek 4 or 5 minutes to do it.... oh yeah,my lights were brighter fromt eh fact they have a good contact on the new switch..

Old 01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I believe MDOFFROAD is absolutely correct on this one. Although I haven't experienced it in my Ram, I drove tow truck for 7 years and those FORD headlamp switches would do this all the time. As near as I could figure, it was caused by drawing too much power through the switch assembly. Such as wiring aux lights and drawing the power from the switch and not using a separate relay. If you've wired any aux lighting and are powering it directly from the switch, you will probably have the problem again.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:25 AM
2001ramsport
Veteran

my truck done the same thing and it was the multifuntion switch.(turn signal dimmer switch) not cheep I think it was about $150

Old 01-06-2006, 01:11 AM
motodog1

hello there check your wiring in your steering colum. mine broke from using the tilt steering.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:18 AM
cableguy
Professional

I have to chime in w/ Motodog. The wiring starts to break right at the multi-function switch. And it does seem to be from using the tilt mechanism. Mine started doing this a couple of months ago. Good luck trying to get the repair kit from the dealer. None on backorder, none in the pipeline. Time for the junk yard crawl again. And I only have 44 more payments!! Yay!!

Quick Reply: Headlights Blink