2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Dodge Ram 1500 laramie 5.2l magnum

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 06:57 PM
nrieves
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dodge Ram 1500 laramie 5.2l magnum

Driving home the other night my truck was stalling coming to stops like a manual. It runs fine in park and neutral, as soon as I put it to drive or reverse I feel the engagement, it moves a touch and stalls. No codes at the moment. New tps sensors checked tv cable, I have vacuum leaks but nothing new as it happened while driving. The vacuum line are broken at the moment. Here’s a video of it cutting out. Any ideas?

Old 03-14-2022, 09:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

That's usually a sign of a bad crank position sensor. When it stalls try to see what you are missing.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:37 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Didn't see a video of the issue. Did you attach it to your thread?

I suspect this might be an issue associated with a very dirty throttle body and idle air controller (IAC). Clean the throttle body thoroughly and remove the IAC at the rear of the throttle body and clean out the well where the IAC plunger extends into the throttle body and clean that up really well, as carbon tends to accumulate in that area. Clean the IAC plunger, too. Reset the computer by removing the battery cables and re-installing them after they've been off for a few minutes to see if this resolves your issue. In addition, I'd fix those vacuum leaks as well, as they are likely contributing to your problem. Lastly, look down the throttle body into the bottom of the intake with a flashlight to see if you have oil pooling in the bottom of the intake. If so, you likely have a blown plenum gasket (or bad PCV valve) that will need to be fixed to keep your catalytic converter from being plugged up.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:40 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
That's usually a sign of a bad crank position sensor. When it stalls try to see what you are missing.
When my crank sensor went bad and the truck died on the road, I scanned my PCM with my scanner and it came up with a pending code that stated that the crank sensor was going south. Have you scanned your PCM when the issue occurred and also checked the pending codes?

Old 03-15-2022, 10:15 AM
nrieves
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is the video

Originally Posted by nrieves
Driving home the other night my truck was stalling coming to stops like a manual. It runs fine in park and neutral, as soon as I put it to drive or reverse I feel the engagement, it moves a touch and stalls. No codes at the moment. New tps sensors checked tv cable, I have vacuum leaks but nothing new as it happened while driving. The vacuum line are broken at the moment. Here’s a video of it cutting out. Any ideas?
Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
here’s the video

Old 03-15-2022, 10:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by nrieves
here’s the video
Or not.

You can't post videos directly here. Need to host it elsewhere, (youtube?) and then link to it here.

Quick Reply: 97 Dodge Ram 1500 laramie 5.2l magnum