2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi swap because cool

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 11:37 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
After reading through I see it’s the transmission that gives you issue. Swap an nv4500 into it and then you can beef the engine.

I work in a garage and I don’t trust hemis…..seen many break valves, wipe cams, bend pushrods, and I just had a 2017 with 101k I had to do head gaskets on. My 46re has 165,000 trouble free miles and it’s because I take care of it, there’s much to know about the 46re, it’s a stubborn tranny

my 95 had 245k when I traded it, I took on water and beat the hell out of it off roading, still never had an issue
Personally, I feel the the 46RE transmission gets a bad rap, as it is a transmission that gets its roots from the 727 transmission that was used since the 1960s. It is essentially a 727 transmission with an overdrive unit bolted to it and electronics/solenoids added to it to allow it to be computer controlled. There are numerous videos on YouTube that can provide insights on how to build them into trouble-free transmissions.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:19 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Personally, I feel the the 46RE transmission gets a bad rap, as it is a transmission that gets its roots from the 727 transmission that was used since the 1960s. It is essentially a 727 transmission with an overdrive unit bolted to it and electronics/solenoids added to it to allow it to be computer controlled. There are numerous videos on YouTube that can provide insights on how to build them into trouble-free transmissions.
I’ve known that they’re based on the 727, I don’t mind having sluggishness occasionally, I would expect that of a 20~ year old tranny, but the amount of problems I’ve had is unacceptable. I had a Honda Pilot for over a year that never had any major drivetrain problems, had this truck less than a year and it needs a new transmission.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:22 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

After reading through I see it’s the transmission that gives you issue. Swap an nv4500 into it and then you can beef the engine.

I work in a garage and I don’t trust hemis…..seen many break valves, wipe cams, bend pushrods, and I just had a 2017 with 101k I had to do head gaskets on. My 46re has 165,000 trouble free miles and it’s because I take care of it, there’s much to know about the 46re, it’s a stubborn tranny

my 95 had 245k when I traded it, I took on water and beat the hell out of it off roading, still never had an issue
when the first trans went I hunted like crazy for an nv4500 because I didn’t want to deal with the semi electronic nature of the 46re anymore anyways but I couldn’t find one for a reasonable price. All of them were $1500+, I can buy Several used 46re’s for that price

Old 03-24-2022, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

If you buy a used transmission, try not to be surprised when it doesn't work like a new one.....

If you are even somewhat mechanically inclined, you can rebuild it yourself, and have a working trans, that will last many miles, for less than that 1500 bucks...... If you want to get closer to that mark, you can build a trans that will stand up to anything you want to do to it.

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 10:09 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CheeseWheel
nectar? But yeah I hate mine, it is completely destroyed inside and out, the plastic core is destroyed and doesn’t hold anything anymore, the dash top was garbage and wasn’t hooked to anything, and the bezel is all afloat and rattles when going through forest trails
I meant because my phone changes the words around lol

Old 03-24-2022, 10:17 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you buy a used transmission, try not to be surprised when it doesn't work like a new one.....

If you are even somewhat mechanically inclined, you can rebuild it yourself, and have a working trans, that will last many miles, for less than that 1500 bucks...... If you want to get closer to that mark, you can build a trans that will stand up to anything you want to do to it.
I bought the trans that’s in it with receipts of a rebuilt reverse and over drive housing, replaced valve body components and a new torque converter. I spent nearly $1000 on it because the guy bought a 2000 46re for a 95 truck not realizing they wouldn’t work together

Old 03-28-2022, 01:46 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Where would you advise getting an nv4500? I can’t find them for sale as a complete kit, I need a bell housing obviously and I can’t find the gearbox and bell together

Old 03-28-2022, 02:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Where would you advise getting an nv4500? I can’t find them for sale as a complete kit, I need a bell housing obviously and I can’t find the gearbox and bell together
Gearbox online. Bell housing you can get online or at a junkyard

Old 03-28-2022, 02:49 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts
Lightbulb

https://www.car-part.com/ - salvage yards post their inventory here - you should be able to find a yard selling the bellhousing, the transmission and the pedals/linkage if this is the route you want to take...

Last edited by AtomicDog; 03-28-2022 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:59 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
https://www.car-part.com/ - salvage yards post their inventory here - you should be able to find a yard selling the bellhousing, the transmission and the pedals/linkage if this is the route you want to take...
I think I’m gonna go for the manual because it leaves me open to the hemi swap while also having stick which I’ve been wanting since I started shopping for the truck. I’m struggling with a few things! First I can’t find a dodge gas nv4500, only Cummins or GM, second can’t figure out if I need a new TCase or if my NV231 will work on it or if I have to find a 241, third I can’t find clear information on what spline i would need for the 5.2 to work for now. I figured it would be practically drop in since they came behind the 5.9.

Quick Reply: Hemi swap because cool