2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A possible project.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 11:29 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts
Default A possible project.

I had a thought (really!). I've got a fuel tank out of a Ramcharger. I picked it up mainly because it was just laying there and I might find a use for it. I'm thinking of mounting it in the bed of my '96 Ram to use as an extended range tank. It's a plastic one so I think it's around 35-40 gallons. I'll hook an electric fuel pump to it and then I can run a hose into the main tank or fuel off road vehicles. LMC Truck is out of the hoses and one is on back order and the other isn't. What's something else I can use for a fill pipe, hoses and such? The local Pull-A-Part burned and they can't get the building rebuilt yet.

I've got a 9.5 gallon tank ready to mount that's meant for a dune buggy. However, there is a SUBSTANTIAL drop in the price of gasoline if I drive across the river to Kentucky. 80 cents yesterday before they raised the prices. 9 gallons might be worth the trouble. 40 gallons definitely would be. I'll have to dig it out to measure the filler tube width.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:51 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Pulling around the extra weight of 40 gallons worth it? I know it was done in Mexico(LP-gasoline compatible) but a LP conversion might make more sense.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:14 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Moparite
Pulling around the extra weight of 40 gallons worth it? I know it was done in Mexico(LP-gasoline compatible) but a LP conversion might make more sense.

I've seen and even driven with those. The extra tank will be for filling tractors, ATV's and lawn mowers. I figure the tank and fuel will add a little under 400 pounds. Propane has its own problems as well as there isn't any place to fuel a vehicle around here. You MUST keep your radiator coolant good to -35 or lower or else the vaporizer with freeze up.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:09 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

The extra fuel tank sounds like a good idea to meet your needs. Hope you tend to keep the truck in a well lit area since some folks seem prone to stealing gas again with the price of fuel so high right now.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:11 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
The extra fuel tank sounds like a good idea to meet your needs. Hope you tend to keep the truck in a well lit area since some folks seem prone to stealing gas again with the price of fuel so high right now.

I'm in an area with a prevalence of armed Veterans, barking dogs and motion detector lights. The road by my house is also a short cut for the city and county police when they do their patrols. I don't have much trouble with prowlers. I was in the garage once chasing a problem down and didn't realize how late it had gotten. Next thing I know, a Deputy is knocking on the garage door to check on me. Me and my old cars are a land mark in the neighborhood.

Quick Reply: A possible project.