2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 08:36 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tranny cooler question

nice. i was thinking about doing this also.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:12 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Related to this post and thread, I've got an external cooler ready to go but haven't installed it yet. I already knew that it goes on the output from the radiator and on that line, my rig has a flexible braided hose that comes out of the radiator and hooks up to the metal cooler line. I can just remove the hose, but here is my problem. I'm not sure of the fitting sizes. I don't want to just leave the line unhooked to drain everywhere while I go and track down the fitting I need. Sooooooo........anyone know the size fitting I need?

Old 01-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I know I had one hell of a time trying to find a fitting that would screw into the top port in the radiator. That's why I ended up cutting the line and doing it like I did. Someone must have already modified yours somehow.....I'd have to see a pic to understand what you have.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:21 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I wish I had a camera to post pics quickly. The hose fits right between the cooler line and radiator. One end with a female fitting, the other with a male fitting. Looks OEM, but maybe not I will admit. I think I have a male fitting that will fit the radiator output, but the problem I'm having is finding a female fitting to accept the one on the cooler return line. I've never been that hip or enthused about cutting the tubing so if I can avoid doing that, I will unless there is no other option.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:01 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

does anyone know of a tranny cooler that has fitting for steel braided lines instead of the rubber hose & hose clamp set up?

oh and my guys in the shop and i got into a discussion about this..my lead tech says that since we have a flush machine, he would just flush it once a year. since he said coolers would leak within the year. what do you guys think would be the best solution?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: ljpierce_ely

I wish I had a camera to post pics quickly. The hose fits right between the cooler line and radiator. One end with a female fitting, the other with a male fitting. Looks OEM, but maybe not I will admit. I think I have a male fitting that will fit the radiator output, but the problem I'm having is finding a female fitting to accept the one on the cooler return line. I've never been that hip or enthused about cutting the tubing so if I can avoid doing that, I will unless there is no other option.
Look at the pics in my post above and compare. I was going to cut the rubber line behind the quick disconnect fitting on the return (top radiator fitting) hose, put a splice barb in it for one cooler hose, and put a fitting into the top radiator port to connect the rubber cooler hose to. I could not find a fitting that would fit into the radiator port anywhere, so I did it like the picture. Look for another "hard" return line at a salvage yard and if you find one you can cut and bend on it without losing your ride if you mess up.....

Quick Reply: tranny cooler question