2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 08:43 PM
medstudent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny cooler question

Sorry if this should be in tech, but I have done lots of searching and have not found my answer? Anyway, I have never had an automatic before so I have no prior experience with coolers. So can you install one without flushing the fluid? would you ant to flush the fluid? Can it be done in a garage using basic tools? I understand how to install the cooler but where does it connect to the tranny? Do any kits come complete or do you always have to run to the local parts store for adapters? Thanks for any help

Old 12-31-2005, 10:08 PM
magnum mike
Rookie
Default RE: tranny cooler question

you should have a factory cooler already on your truck, but adding one is easy. just dont bypass the factory cooler because in the winter it help to also heat the fluid when its
cold out. you cant get rid of condinsation if it never warms up.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:15 PM
medstudent

Where would the factory cooler be located? I feel stupid, but I do not see one. So do I just hook the new tranny cooler in line with the old cooler? What if there is no stock tranny cooler?

Old 12-31-2005, 11:21 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

the stock cooler is mounted in the radiator. on the passengerside of the rad, look for 2 lines connected to it that go back to the tranny. you'll connect into these lines. I think the top one is the input & the bottom is the output. not 100% sure on that one. I'd ditch the radiator cooler and just go with the biggest external you can get. dodge tranny's dont like heat. especially in the OD area so the cooler it runs, the longer it'll live.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:10 AM
medstudent

I do live in Nebraska where it can get cold and I will be moving in two years to Minnesota, should I worry about bypassing the radiator like Magnum mike said or should I keep it inline?
thanks so much

Old 01-01-2006, 12:35 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I'm no cold weather expert but I would think that the tranny is gonna heat up regardless of the coolers attached. how much cooling is what's gonna extend the life... from my understanding, 160 deg F is the target temp.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:46 PM
magnum mike
Rookie

I am not 100% sure on the warm up part for the tranny on a dodge, but just as a genral rule you should leave it in the system.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:07 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

well, mines out of the loop and it's gonna stay out. we dont see sub freezing temps here in CA so i'm on the lucky side. the coldest my truck has seen since i've owned it is the teens.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 PM
securtis12
Professional

I have to go with Steve an aftermarket is the way to go. The stock cooler really does not do alot and keeps the temp above the ideal as the radiator runs about 210 or so and the tranny likes it alot cooler even in cold weather it will work. I have had alot of trucks in all kinds of weather (maine to florida) and always had an aftermarket cooler and my fluid stays nice and red no burnt fluid and alot less wear.

Steve

Old 01-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Here's a link to a post I did with pics of my tranny cooler install. https://dodgeforum.com/m_286895/mpag.../tm.htm#286895

Here are also detailed instructions on how I did it.

I would guess you could do it with any cooler, they all have an inlet and an outlet. You want to put the cooler in after the fluid goes through the cooler in the radiator (factory standard), so the idea is to splice it in the return line. I don't know if a Durango has the exact same setup or not - look at the pics and compare. Some factory tranny coolers are mounted in between the rad and condenser, so check that out before you buy one. Here's the instructions for a Ram. Some people sandwich the tranny cooler between the radiator and the condenser - I thought about that but to get enough room to work behind the condenser requires removing it - which requires unhooking the A.C. lines and an A.C recharge. Sorry - I'm not doing that. Attaching the cooler on the outside as I did requires removal of the two top bolts that hold the condenser on in order to get your arm behind it to attach the plastic mounting nuts. No biggie. You need a "quick disconnect tool", $6 at Auto Zone, to unhook the "hard line" at the joint. The return line is the one that attaches to the top of the radiator....see pic. There will be some drainage from the line, so have a pan and rags handy. An 11/16 wrench removes the fitting at the radiator. I used a tubing cutter to cut the line about 1/2 way down, leaving enough of the line to still catch in the holder on the radiator after being bent. Use a tubing bender to bend the ends of the line forward - be careful not to kink it. Mine started to kink even with the bender - so watch carefully as you bend. If it starts to kink, stop, a perfect 90 degree bend isn't necessary. I used a flaring tool to flare the cut ends of the line a little bit - enough to help hold the hose in place better - and filed the edges smooth so the hose would not cut through over time. Blow compressed air through the hard line pieces to clean out any metal filings. Reattach the ends to the radiator and tranny line. I ran the bottom line out through a precut place in the rubber next to the radiator, I cut a hole for the other line. Cut cooler hose to length, attach top to top, bottom to bottom with clamps provided with cooler. Don't overtighten. I left the bottom hose off and had my son start the truck up in neutral to make sure I had good fluid flow before I buttoned it up. Have a clean container to catch the fluid that comes out. You won't have to run it long to get fluid out - so this is best done with two people. You can put the fluid back in the tranny if you use a clean container. I cut two pieces of old radiator hose to use as a buffer between the cooler lines and the A.C. condenser lines and zip tied the lines loosely together. Probably didn't have to - but I didn't want them rubbing. Depending on how much fluid drained from the lines, and how much the cooler holds, you may have to add some tranny fluid, so check the level after installation. That's pretty much it. If you can find the "hard line" at a salvage yard - I would suggest getting one and doing your cutting and bending on it, that way you have an extra. If you screw up the original - you'll be needing another ride to go find one! The tools I used can be rented at Auto Zone if you don't have them. I hope this is clear enough......Good Luck!

Quick Reply: tranny cooler question