2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 RAM 1500 5.9L backfire through intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by uniteam
Well, when We installed TB for the first time, before the engine was refreshed. Was impossible use it because at start it was full throttled with the original tps position. We found in forums a post talking about this situation and the solution was cross the end wires of the tps connector. With this mod everything works good. I never checked voltage. But now, with this situation and your question, I verified and I have 1.62 v at idle and with engine off key on the same value this must be an issue if the original reading should be approximately .060 and maximum a little less than 1 volt, right? I had a Spare sensor, I nstalled and I read the same value. I released the sensor and I can read less volts.

​​​​​​​
Think I would check and make sure that did the trick. TPS is just a variable resistor. Polarity doesn't matter, so, I don't think swapping wires even matters. (assuming you swap the 5 volt feed, and the signal return wire. the third wire is a ground..... )

Old 04-07-2022, 12:59 AM
uniteam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Is this still running the stock PCM? You can hook up a timing light and see where it is firing.
I'm running Mopar High Performance PCM.

How many grades is my target?

Old 04-07-2022, 01:11 AM
uniteam

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think I would check and make sure that did the trick. TPS is just a variable resistor. Polarity doesn't matter, so, I don't think swapping wires even matters. (assuming you swap the 5 volt feed, and the signal return wire. the third wire is a ground..... )
Thanks,

The swapped wires are ground and 5 volt feed

If I returned the swapped wires, the engine revs full throttle when I start the engine.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:12 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

Since you've mentioned a 4 barrel throttle body and a Mopar Performance PCM, what other mods have been done to this engine?

Old 04-07-2022, 02:00 AM
uniteam

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Since you've mentioned a 4 barrel throttle body and a Mopar Performance PCM, what other mods have been done to this engine?
Compcams camshaft grind 265HR-14 265/273 .512/.512
mopar aluminum cylinder heads 53cc 1.97/1.625

mopar RR 1.6r
ford 24 lbs @ 39psi fuel injectors
crane cam ignition box hi-6 & ignition coil fireball
mopar HP double roller timing chain kit with tensioner

Stock shortblock 360

Everything was working good before the engine was refreshed.

pistons at 0.030 , main and rod bearings 0.010
Cometic head gasket Compressed Thickness: .120

Old 04-07-2022, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Thanks,

The swapped wires are ground and 5 volt feed

If I returned the swapped wires, the engine revs full throttle when I start the engine.
I suspect this means the TPS isn't doing anything at all.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:40 PM
uniteam

I suspect this means the TPS isn't doing anything at all.
well, I proved it with multimeter and voltage changes according to the throttle, but the issue is the range , idle 1.60v to 4.20 v approximately at full throttle

I noticed too a glow red headers at idle. 😑
If IAC open to sucks air at idle they turn glow red faster. 👀

Old 04-07-2022, 04:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That actually worked???? Interesting....

Voltage might be a little high, but, one of the things the computer does after a reset is re-learn the zero values for the various sensors. So, it *should* be able to figger that out. Do you have a scanner? If so, what is it reading for TPS percent? The glowing headers do indicate its running a bit rich. Or, the timing in your tune is retarded to much. (the fuel/air are still burning when the exhaust valve opens....)

Old 04-07-2022, 10:53 PM
uniteam

That actually worked???? Interesting....
Yeap , in fact before the engine rebuild it was working very well. But I never checked the voltage

Voltage might be a little high, but, one of the things the computer does after a reset is re-learn the zero values for the various sensors. So, it *should* be able to figger that out..

Do you have a scanner? If so, what is it reading for TPS percent? The glowing headers do indicate its running a bit rich. Or, the timing in your tune is retarded to much. (the fuel/air are still burning when the exhaust valve opens....)
I have and old actron scanner, with obd1 plug but it doesn't show TPS percent, just voltage

I have a new type scanner, but it just have obd2 socket. And I don't have an adapter

Old 04-07-2022, 11:16 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts
Lightbulb

Yeap , in fact before the engine rebuild it was working very well. But I never checked the voltage

I have and old actron scanner, with obd1 plug but it doesn't show TPS percent, just voltage

I have a new type scanner, but it just have obd2 socket. And I don't have an adapter
What kind of new type scanner are you using? Adapters are likely available via eBay..

Quick Reply: 1994 RAM 1500 5.9L backfire through intake