2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 03:08 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts

To add onto ol' grouch, sometimes I'll start by gravity bleeding the brake lines. Fill up the master cylinder with fluid, then open each of the bleeder screws one by one (starting with the one farthest away from the master cylinder to the least farthest away) until you see fluid dripping out of the bleeder screw without bubbles. Tighten the bleeder, then go to the next one. Once done gravity bleeding the brakes, go back one last time and use the two man bleeding process to bleed the brakes one last time on all 4 wheels. As long as there are no other leaks anywhere else in the brake system, you should end up with a rock hard brake pedal.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:54 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

An experienced tech told me on GMT800s he vacuum bleeds and pumps the pedal. Says this negates any need for a scan tool to activate the ABS pump (not that that is in question here)

But, perhaps a technique for difficult bleeds....

I've never tried it so can't relay personal experience

Old 04-15-2022, 12:16 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Keith_L
An experienced tech told me on GMT800s he vacuum bleeds and pumps the pedal. Says this negates any need for a scan tool to activate the ABS pump (not that that is in question here)

But, perhaps a technique for difficult bleeds....

I've never tried it so can't relay personal experience
I like using a MityVac tool to do vacuum bleeds sometimes, too. Still nothing beats a pressure bleed system by introducing low positive pressure at the master cylinder to push fluid through the brake lines to bleed the system.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes