2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 dodge ram van 3500 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 10:46 PM
dalton23
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 dodge ram van 3500 5.9L

Hey everybody, So I just came back from the long weekend with my conversion van and had trouble on the way home. I figured I would make a thread documenting my technical journey getting this thing running nice again and get some input and feedback. I have a 2001 dodge ram van 3500 with a 5.9L and 136k on the dash and this ride back was like nothing I've ever had with this truck. While accelerating it was shaking and sputtering until about 50. The intake sounds very loud and has developed a high pitched like squeal and it felt like it was death shaking around 35-45 mph but it wasn't the suspension and it felt like it was the engine. The entire suspension, ball joints and and steering components have about 45k on them so I don't think its that. Just pulled the codes today using the dash and got code 0601 and 0505. I've already replaced the PCM once and honestly the code has been on there for the last two years even after replacing the PCM, I just ignore it. The 0505 is the new code so I yanked and cleaned the throttle body and the Idle air control sensor but it still sounded rough. I've got a new Idle air control valve ordered. and I was wondering should I change more sensors on the throttle body or just replace what codes are throwing and see if that fixes it? I've had the vehicle for four years in December and have done a lot and plan on doing more. Both 02 sensors are fresh, along with oil, plugs, wire, cap, coil, distributor, I will probably share those things here and get advice through these process'. It's been burning oil but nothing like I have heard maybe a quart every 750-1000 miles so I know the plenum gasket is good but the valve covers are leaky and the rear main seal looks like its starting to leak which is new.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:10 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts
Sounds like it could be a few things. Check for a vacuum leak around the throttle body, especially the throttle body gasket that goes in between the throttle body and the intake. Check your PCV valve to ensure it operates properly. You can also clean it with carb cleaner or replace it with a new Mopar PCV valve. Also check the rubber hoses coming off the throttle body and the intake for cracks/leaks. You can also try spraying carb cleaner around the intake & hoses while the motor is running to see if the motor changes pitch/idle while doing the spraying. If so, you have found a vacuum leak. If you haven't done the plenum gasket since you've owned the truck, look down the throttle body with the butterflies fully open (engine off) with a flashlight and see if you see any oil puddles on the floor of the intake. If so, you have a blown plenum gasket that needs to be addressed - otherwise, it will eventually foul up your O2 sensor and the catalytic converter. Lastly, the idle air controller has a well that the piston fits into in the throttle body. Be sure to really clean that area of all of the carbon that tends to accumulate in the well. I usually remove the throttle body so that I can really clean that area up thoroughly.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

P0601 PCM Internal Controller Failure
P0505 Idle Air Control Motor Circuits
Try disconnecting the battery over night and see if the 601 code goes away.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:10 AM
dalton23
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey AtomicDog, thanks for telling me to check the PCV valve. Upon taking it off and inspecting the PCV valve, I found it packed full of debri' and knew that was suspect. I know the throttle body gasket was broke when I took it off but I know that's just a little air. After checking out the forums and stuff online I'm gonna go ahead and replace the Plenum gasket with the stock plate and I might as well replace the timing chain at that point since I didn't get a chance to do that when I serviced the water pump. I'm guessing the noise I have been hearing is lack there of air through the pcv valve. I'm gonna clean the PCV valve today and see if that takes care of a bit of the issue.
Hey Moparite, I have had the battery disconnected since yesterday and honestly I hope it just goes away but that sensor looked rough and rusty. I got it as clean as possible so I'll see when I start it today.

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 10:23 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

When changing out the timing chain, please be sure to opt for a double roller timing chain and gear set. They aren't very expensive and will help to keep everything in time for a long time.

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge ram van 3500 5.9L