2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Probably a Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 11:15 AM
SportRamORE01
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Probably a Dumb Question

As the title states Im sure this is probably another dumb question thats already been asked and answered and Ill probably get flamed for. Ive search the entire site and couldnt find the info I was looking for so Ill have to ask so heres goes:

Ok so my truck (01 Sport w/Magnum 5.9 V8) has a liofter tick in it can hear it at idle and barely here it over the exhaust at highway speeds, thought it was an exhaust leak, took it to our local mechanic to have it replaced. He replaced the gasket but told me the tick was in the valavetrain, and also tried to tell me that the engine had a flat tappet cam (which I knew was bs). So while replacing my valve cover gaskets I found that the lifter for the intake on Number 5 was collapsed. I know that the Magnum engines being roller cam engines I can replace that one lifter and be ok, but with over 270k miles on the original motor Im wondering if I shouldnt replace all of em and if I can get by with doing that without replacing the cam. Or am I only dreaming?

Old 06-21-2022, 11:24 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

You can replace the one lifter and likely be OK, if you're on a budget and the motor has been taken reasonable care of (at least regular oil changes) over the years. You should not have to change the camshaft, unless its damaged. When you pull the intake, might want to check the plenum gasket while you're in there. You might want to consider installing a double roller timing chain and gear set, too.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

You *could* replace just the one, but, if you are going to the effort to change one.... with that high of miles, I would change ALL of them. Do the plenum repair, and maybe even timing chain and gears while you are at it. And, if you are feeling REALLY masochistic...... Valve stem seals.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
2bit (06-23-2022), AtomicDog (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 03:12 PM
SportRamORE01

I've taken good care of the motor, it's about due for an oil change anyways. As for the plenum gasket, I was already thinking along those lines anyhow. It comes down to what I can afford . Someone told me that you have to drain the block to remove the intake, is that true or can I just pull it like the ones on an LA?

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 03:22 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Both the magnum and LA engines have coolant running through the intake. You will need to drain the coolant. If the coolant is fresh, you can drain it into a container and reuse it.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:50 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by SportRamORE01
I've taken good care of the motor, it's about due for an oil change anyways. As for the plenum gasket, I was already thinking along those lines anyhow. It comes down to what I can afford . Someone told me that you have to drain the block to remove the intake, is that true or can I just pull it like the ones on an LA?

The big blocks had dry intakes. The A, ad LA engines used the wet heat type with coolant going through it. So, yes, you need to drain it. The early Magnums, like yours, were a heavily redesigned LA engine.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:14 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Check out Rock Auto for good prices. I'd add a Gates water pump to the list.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:33 PM
SportRamORE01

Originally Posted by 2bit
Check out Rock Auto for good prices. I'd add a Gates water pump to the list.
It already has a newer water pump on it (replaced in 2020) and a new clutch fan, neither of which are leaking may end up replacing the thermostat and housing as it hasnt been replaced since after I got the truck and I noticed the housing isnt sealing correctly (possibly corrosion at the base) and possibly a new serpentine belt. At this point my budget and my g/f and the landlord will dictate how far into the engine I go.

The following users liked this post:
2bit (06-27-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 10:31 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Those thermostat housings on the 5.9 engine have a tendency to rust and leak with age. As for the replacement thermostat, please be sure to purchase a Stant Superstat, as they are not prone to failures as seen with other brands.

Quick Reply: Probably a Dumb Question