2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick shifter linkage repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 08:58 PM
stlmccoy1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick shifter linkage repair

I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 5.9 magnum 4x4 lwb with 131,000 miles I was driving today and when I parked and came back to my truck to leave the shifter has a lot of slack wouldn't put the truck into gear. I found this s shaped rod that has a grommet on the end of it. The grommet is dry rot my best guess broke into a couple pieces. I need a quick temporary fix to so I can get the truck home it's 10miles from my house and I don't want to pay a tow truck to bring it to my house. I will replace the grommet but have to order online first and don't want my truck sitting overnight at the store. Would zip tie it in place work to get it home? Any suggestions would be great

Old 06-29-2022, 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Maybe. Use a couple. Really, it only needs to work once. When you get it home, if it won't shift into park, just shut off the engine, block the wheels, then put it in park manually. (crawl under there and move the shift lever on the trans, CAREFUL though. Don't wanna get run over by your own truck. )

Old 06-30-2022, 12:55 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Maybe. Use a couple. Really, it only needs to work once. When you get it home, if it won't shift into park, just shut off the engine, block the wheels, then put it in park manually. (crawl under there and move the shift lever on the trans, CAREFUL though. Don't wanna get run over by your own truck. )
I almost did that once disconnecting a rear driveshaft like an idiot. Fortunately the driveshaft just came down and chipped my front tooth.

SMRT: that smells spart -- just like me!!!

Quick Reply: Quick shifter linkage repair