2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Frame help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 11:01 AM
2ndgen24v
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame help needed

So I bought the truck about a month ago and noticed this underneath by the power steering box. Should I just buy a parts truck and cut the corner of the frame and get it professionally welded or does anyone have any better ideas on what to do. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:36 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Someone has already attempted to plate the sides from what I'm seeing. I'd call 'em booger welds but trying to weld really rusted metal is tough and unpredictable.

I think your options are leave well enough alone and hope, have a fab shop recreate the framehorn (possible but surely cost prohibitive), or find a good donor frame and section a good piece on, assuming the frame is better further back.

You might also consider one of the steering box braces to at least spread your steering loads to the other side.

I realize none of these are great options, rust sucks that way. I'm also not a rust expert so maybe there are alternatives I'm overlooking.

Does LMC sell repro frame sections? I've never looked....

Old 10-26-2022, 04:08 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking past that ugly repair, the rest of the suspension, axle, and steering components look decent, rust free. You can still see where the factory decal on the axle was, so if the rest of your frame is that good, I would get it fixed.

I'm with Keith, check with a local diesel shop and see if they can recommend a welding or fab shop and get it fixed right.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:01 PM
2ndgen24v
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the insight, the rest of the frame is in really good condition for being driven on salted roads but it sucks this one area is gone. I'll most likely go to a welding/fab shop and see what they want to do and I'll either a) have them create that section and have it done properly or b) buy a donor truck and cut the frame corner off that and have them weld it in, whatever is cheaper. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Frame help needed