2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to put Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 05:49 PM
Kulte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to put Seafoam?

Watching Youtube it seems like people put Seafoam directly into the oil fill, gas tank, and vacuum hose into the throttle body. I've never used it on my 98 1500 manual 5.2L, but would like to do some cleanup and maintenance. Should I put it in all these areas? How much in each spot?

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2022, 07:13 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Kulte
Watching Youtube it seems like people put Seafoam directly into the oil fill, gas tank, and vacuum hose into the throttle body. I've never used it on my 98 1500 manual 5.2L, but would like to do some cleanup and maintenance. Should I put it in all these areas? How much in each spot?

Thanks!

Seafoam is a good fuel system cleaner. I just pour it into the fuel tank. I've seen people put it in the oil, similar to using transmission fluid in the engine oil. VERY high detergent oil basically. I'd hesitate to keep it in there all the time. I've used transmission fluid to clean an engine but just drive it a couple of blocks and then change the oil. The fuel system treatment will clean some gooky stuff out, but if you're just cleaning things up, change the oil, maybe the coolant if it;s more than 5 years old and give the truck a good wash. Maybe put some 3in1 motor oil on the door hinges and the tailgate hinges. Maybe shoot a little into the key holes on the locks. This will make everything move nice and smooth. DO NOT use WD-40 or any other penetrant like B'Laster. These make good cutting oils and help with rust but they will grind the hinge pins out of the doors. You want a lubricant, not a cutting oil.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

I don't think in the gas tank is bad, feeding some to the engine via a vacuum line will help de-carbon the cylinders, but, don't think I would put it anywhere that requires a lubricant...... that just seems like a bad idea to me.

Quick Reply: Where to put Seafoam?