2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Reverse Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 07:26 PM
Hotshot1945
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 46RE Reverse Issue

Good afternoon, I have a 2500 with the 360 gas, the other day I was out mudding and had run across a farmer who had gotten his tractor stuck. Gave him some help and as it turns out I was a bit to generous with the gas and got myself stuck. he pulled me back, with my truck in reverse and me giving a little gas, and I got unstuck. I went to back up so that we could take off the chain and my reverse seemed to have turned into a neutral. I know that the 46/47RE and RH's have the issues with the rear band going bad so I figured this would be the first place to start, and then was going to test the servo when I got a chance to limp it to work, if I couldn't get a trailer. I also looked up to see other things that may be good to look into and found the overdrive pack clutch snap ring is another failure point. This transmission was rebuilt about a year ago, the truck sat for about 8 months with me being hurt and not needing a truck for work, and then recently I began using it again since I took up a new job. I haven't been a typical teenager with it slamming on the gas and getting that rev counter up near the red, but I won't say that I have been a grandpa about things either. I would like to be on time for work while still getting more than 10mpg. All that aside, I took off the trans pan the other day and inspected it. the valve body seemed to be good, i swapped the filter and gasket, all the solenoids tested fine, and the band was a bit loose so I adjusted it as per the spec that Tactransman has said twofold on other posts. I put it all back together, filled it with 6 quarts and then ran the truck and stuck it in neutral to make sure fluids levels were correct. Topped it off a little bit and then went into trying to see if this solved my issue. Here is where the fun begins. I got it to go into reverse and it seemed to backup under its own power for the roughly 100 feet I had it in reverse just idling. Absolutely no issues. I turned the truck off, called it a night and went inside. Woke up the next morning for work and went to backout of the driveway and I got a stuttering, a slight nudge and then it kinda lost some power in reverse. I wasn't sure what that was about but didn't want to tear up a transmission. Put the truck in park for the day and checked on it the next day after work. It will no longer move under its own power in reverse, but now when I put it in reverse there is a sound similar to that of a an air leak or pressure leak and I'm not sure where its coming from, but it is strictly in reverse. I checked to make sure that the plug for checking the reverse/low servo was on and tight and that checked out. I took the pan off again, figured I'd shoot for the stars and tried to readjust the band, but this time it wouldn't tighten almost at all, it just screws down with no resistance. I am afraid to fear the worse and think that the band is busted because it is in place and it wont budge any when I try and push on it or move it around with my fingers. While I Was doing this though I noticed that the servo for reverse was so far from the peg on the band that there was a solid half inch or so of play between the servo and the band screw peg thing. I am hoping that this means the servo is the issue and this cna be fixed by replacing it, but I don't want to be ordering parts and not finding a solution. Does someone, maybe Tactransman, want to help me figure this out so that I don't have to shoot at a dart board of issues and hope I find the right one $1000 and a trans rebuild later? Thank you in advance!

Also, forgot to mention it at the beginning. The magnet in the pan didn't seem to have any excess of metal shavings in it, and there were no larger pieces or chunks that would be representative of the snap ring having shot itself. IF you have any other questions I am always more than willing to answer and I can always provide pictures if need be.

Quick Reply: 46RE Reverse Issue