2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 08:43 AM
WrenchingtheWretched
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer Brake Controller

Planning to add a trailer brake controller to pull my trailers. The only issue is my truck is a base model, it doesn’t have the blue plug under the dash for the after market trailer brake controller. What are my other options to install the controller or is there an easier fix than hacking the wiring harness. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:02 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Does the truck have a receiver hitch with 6 or 7 pin bumper plug? If so I would highly suspect you have the prewire, base model doesn't mean it wouldn't have tow package or tow prep/ I have had some be real buggers to find but they are there up behind the parking brake pedal.

If you genuinely do not have the prewired pig tail then no, there is no other way without splicing wires. One could scour the internet for the possibility of a plug n play adapter for the brake switch but you'll still need to run a power wire from the battery +/- and then run a wire the entire length of the frame to the plug, which if you don't have plug you need to add that also. There are kits the plug into the taillights and make a 4 pin, that could be used to make a 7 pin connection. I would recommend finding one that still runs a ire up to the battery though, to take the trailer load off the factory taillight circuit.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:10 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Here's an example of a kit, this one does not run a separate power wire for lighting controls though. Another downside to this kit is the its a 4 flat convertering to a 7 so your brake/turn is coming down the same wire. You could remove the 4 part from the harness and run directly from the the T plug and should be able to separate the signals, the little box that's inline is what combines the brake/turn

https://www.trailerjacks.com/trailer...AaAk3jEALw_wcB

Old 12-20-2022, 12:28 PM
WrenchingtheWretched
Amateur

Not pre wired for any trailer lights I just bought the curt 4 pin harness I need to add the 7 pin for my trailers but there isn’t a plug under the dash to fed the controller it’s signal.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:32 PM
WrenchingtheWretched
Amateur

There should be a blue plug under the driver side of the dash connected to the harness dedicated to the trailer controller. But my truck unfortunately doesn’t have it. Didn’t know if I could find a donor truck and pop that harness off (if it’s that simple) and just plug it in. Just trying to explore options on trying to wire in these trailer lights.

Old 12-20-2022, 02:18 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

I guess I couldn't say, I've never explored that far up the harness to see where it goes. I have cab here off a 2000 Cummins truck, I can check it out and see where it goes

Old 12-20-2022, 02:31 PM
WrenchingtheWretched
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
I guess I couldn't say, I've never explored that far up the harness to see where it goes. I have cab here off a 2000 Cummins truck, I can check it out and see where it goes

if you’ve got the time and feel like checking see if you can see where that blue plug goes and if you could post pictures here please

Old 12-20-2022, 04:23 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

I installed a trailer brake controller on my truck earlier this year and my truck came with a factory tow package, however, I had a devil of a time finding that blue plug under the dash, as it was buried behind other wiring. Take a really good look at your wiring, as I'd be surprised if the plug wasn't under the dash.. If you do some searches on this forum, I posted about trying to find the plug and some photos are included.

The following users liked this post:
WrenchingtheWretched (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 06:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Brake controller is only four wires. I think you only need to run one to the back for electric brakes....

The following users liked this post:
WrenchingtheWretched (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 06:29 PM
WrenchingtheWretched
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Brake controller is only four wires. I think you only need to run one to the back for electric brakes....

would you happen to have a schematic of which wires to tap into?

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Controller