2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still chasing a coolant leak( best radiator to upgrade to)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 10:28 AM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Still chasing a coolant leak( best radiator to upgrade to)

Hey guys hope everyone had a good Christmas

well my 96 is not a daily driver and sits most of the time I’m starting to think it’s ruining parts slowly because of this lol I started the truck up after 3 weeks of sitting,I recently did my water pump and timing cover that I made a post about months ago. recently I’ve noticed small drops of coolant leaking from above somewhere possibly and a suspicious heater core cracked hose that needed replacing and a broken temp sensor . I replaced both and also tightened up the bolts on thermostat housing and what ever bolts I could reach around the water pump . I’m seeing coolant on my sway bar where can this be coming from ? Also I’ve noticed I’m getting a little leak from the rad beside the drain plug. I can try tightening the plug more but I’m certain it’s coming from the side of it. Is there a good upgrade for drop in rads for this truck? Does someone make a good aluminum one ? This coolant leak is driving me nuts

Old 12-28-2022, 10:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

There is a bypass hose from the water pump, to the intake manifold, that likes to leak. It's under the a/c alternator bracket though..... Look on top of the timing cover, right behind the water pump, is coolant pooling there?

Old 12-28-2022, 11:02 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is a bypass hose from the water pump, to the intake manifold, that likes to leak. It's under the a/c alternator bracket though..... Look on top of the timing cover, right behind the water pump, is coolant pooling there?

I replaced that hose with a new gates one when I did the timing cover / water pump . I feel like it’s on there pretty good but I’ll see if I can view it somehow without tearing apart just yet
and how would I see coolant on the middle of the sway bar ? Seems pretty far away to drip from there

Old 12-28-2022, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Coolant travels. It may actually be leaking from one spot, but, it shows up in three others.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:12 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

I purchased a CSF 2969 all-aluminum radiator years ago for my truck, as I wasn't a fan of radiators with crimped-on plastic side tanks. It has been a great radiator and I'm still running it today with no issues. There are threads about this radiator upgrade on our forum. Unfortunately, the CSF 2969 all-aluminum radiator appears to be discontinued. There are all-aluminum alternative radiators all over eBay - here is an example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/265594709121

Old 12-28-2022, 11:28 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Coolant travels. It may actually be leaking from one spot, but, it shows up in three others.
lol it’s driving me nuts. I have a suspicion the thermostat housing again because at one point there was a pool beside it to the drivers side . I switched the heater hose beside it first to eliminate that because of the crack in it but I’m going to go out today and have another look . It’s not so chilly today

Old 12-28-2022, 11:30 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I purchased a CSF 2969 all-aluminum radiator years ago for my truck, as I wasn't a fan of radiators with crimped-on plastic side tanks. It has been a great radiator and I'm still running it today with no issues. There are threads about this radiator upgrade on our forum. Unfortunately, the CSF 2969 all-aluminum radiator appears to be discontinued. There are all-aluminum alternative radiators all over eBay - here is an example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/265594709121

Sounds cool! What a tease man was hoping to get some good feedback about ones that are accessible still . I was considering the v10 upgrade but same deal with plastic sides

Quick Reply: Still chasing a coolant leak( best radiator to upgrade to)