2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent Growling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 07:40 AM
Bulldog74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Growling Noise

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with about 240,000 miles on it. It has the 360 [5.9] motor and an automatic. Recently I noticed a rough intermittent growling noise when driving. I am in 2 wheel drive and about 50 mph I will hear a rough growling noise. It is brief, maybe 3-5 seconds and I can feel it [rough] in the accelerator pedal. Thinking my poor hearing [old ears] was fooling me I checked the rear wheel bearings. The right on was a bit loose so I replaced it. No change...
The fluid of course was good in the rear differential as I had just put it back together. I checked the oil levels in both the transmission and transfer, with the transfer needing about a 1/2 quart. I feel the problem is between the transfer case, transmission and/or torque converter. The growling is more frequent now with each road test so I know I am on borrowed time.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Old 05-11-2023, 08:49 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

U-joints would be the obvious suggestion. Check the rears in N with parking brake set and wheels chocked. If you check in P the rear d/s is likely bound up. Similarly check rear pinion for play despite the fact the rear fluid appeared clean. And t-case output.

You may also have t-case issues but I'd check everything else first.

I believe torque converter is very unlikely

Old 05-11-2023, 12:31 PM
Bulldog74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the rear universal probably less than 60 miles ago. The rear diff pinion seems good, but there is a small oil leak there. The inside of the diff case when I changed the right rear wheel bearing looked good too. The universal at the transfer output seemed good but will check again.

It would actually be a welcome relief if the torque converter could be ruled out. Of course that still would leave me with the tranny and transfer case as potential problems.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:48 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldog74
I replaced the rear universal probably less than 60 miles ago. The rear diff pinion seems good, but there is a small oil leak there. The inside of the diff case when I changed the right rear wheel bearing looked good too. The universal at the transfer output seemed good but will check again.

It would actually be a welcome relief if the torque converter could be ruled out. Of course that still would leave me with the tranny and transfer case as potential problems.
It's pretty unusual for an auto to make "growling" noises. There's a lot of cushion given that it's essentially hydraulic drive. Usually they'll slip, shift poorly or not shift at all....and even all of those symptoms don't really make noise except engine noise from increased RPM.

Pull the drain plug on the t-case and look for carnage right inside there. The magnet lives at or near the drain.

This is a 241 (vs a 1/2t 231) but see posts #13 and #18 here. I believe the 231 is laid out in a very similar design
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...carnage-2.html

Quick Reply: Intermittent Growling Noise