2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 05:33 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.9 rebuild question

I've been overhauling my 5.9 magnum. Replacing heads, cam, bearings all around, lifters, timing assembly, rod, pistons, rockers, etc.

I bought Enginequest heads, and a very mild comp cam.
I also purchased valve springs recommended by comp to go with the cam. Turns out the springs don't fit the heads, stock or EQ.

My underlying question is, do I even need to replace the springs with the new heads (that came with new valve springs) given that the cam is only a very mild upgrade? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on good valve springs, that aren't expensive? I was trying to do a budget build, obviously not anymore, but I'm not looking for insane HP, just something that will function properly with both the cam and heads. Again, these springs were purchased on summit racing, and were RECOMMENDED to be purchased together through summit racing.

Comp cam: CCA-20-745-9
Comp springs: CCA-901-16
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-21-2023, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

What do you mean by 'don't fit'? If the spring pockets aren't large enough, you can have them machined.... Have you talked to comp cams, and see what they suggest?

Old 05-21-2023, 08:40 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What do you mean by 'don't fit'? If the spring pockets aren't large enough, you can have them machined.... Have you talked to comp cams, and see what they suggest?

Yeah that's the issue I've had. And I would machine them, but all machine shops near me are booked out 3 weeks-6 months, so id rather not do that if I don't have to. Unless there's some way I can do it myself. The amount of machining that would be necessary is minimal

And no, I havent personally talked to comp cams about it. I've just done research online.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:35 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

There is a tool that you can purchase to machine the spring seats on the head. This is the same thing that the machine shop would have to do. You can do a Google search for 'valve spring seat cutter' to find out more information.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:40 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
There is a tool that you can purchase to machine the spring seats on the head. This is the same thing that the machine shop would have to do. You can do a Google search for 'valve spring seat cutter' to find out more information.
Awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 5.9 rebuild question