2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Left front signal light stays on dim in my dash and out front without being turned on

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 01:04 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left front signal light stays on dim in my dash and out front without being turned on

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 4x4 that the left signal light stays on (but very Dim) in my dash and out in front of the vehicle, I’ve cleaned up the grounds around that F/L corner of my truck and replaced the flasher (because the old one was flashing really fast) but now it’s flashing normally but still stays on as soon as I turn on my park lights or next click to all lights.
This is so weird but (when I turn on my Highbeams) everything works perfectly 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
I’ve read some other posts on different forums saying check trailer hitch wire’s and stuff like that but all my rear lights work perfectly so how could that make my FL signal light stay on Dim I don’t know !!!
Thanks to anyone who can offer me advice who had been in this scenario and figured it out 🙏🏻
BTW i should probably mention to save ppls time I’ve already changed the bulb & had a good look at the socket/pigtail and it’s looks perfect. No rust/corrosion green crap or anything like that THANKS 🙏🏻

Last edited by 2001RamGuy; 05-26-2023 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:21 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You are definitely on the right track with checking/cleaning grounds. Your symptoms are, like, 99% consistent, with a ground issue. And even though your rear lights seem to be working fine, it's still worth checking the wiring in the rear. The bulbs in the rear may require more current to light up than the fronts. And definitely if you do not have factory-installed trailer wiring, that's where I'd start, especially if whomever installed it used Scotchlock connectors, which are not meant for exterior applications.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the turn signals on your truck to help with this effort?

-Rod

Old 05-26-2023, 09:30 AM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You posted this in 4th Gen. 2009-2019

Old 05-26-2023, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Moved to 2nd gen ram.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:21 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

When there are lights on when they shouldn't it's almost always a ground problem On the 2001 there is a "joint connector" that ties a few grounds together before connecting to the body. It's somewhere front left near where the actual ground connection is. Check these, also don't rely on an ohmmeter to check the ground because it might not be able to carry enough current.

The following users liked this post:
2001RamGuy (06-04-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 04:07 AM
2001RamGuy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
You are definitely on the right track with checking/cleaning grounds. Your symptoms are, like, 99% consistent, with a ground issue. And even though your rear lights seem to be working fine, it's still worth checking the wiring in the rear. The bulbs in the rear may require more current to light up than the fronts. And definitely if you do not have factory-installed trailer wiring, that's where I'd start, especially if whomever installed it used Scotchlock connectors, which are not meant for exterior applications.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the turn signals on your truck to help with this effort?

-Rod
Thanks Rod, I have gotten underneath the rear of my truck and all the trailer harness wiring looks good.
I did notice my Right rear Reverse light is out but I’ve just got to go get a new bulb for the R/R backup socket.
I worked as a mechanic for 15-20 years in the 80’s & 90’s and have never heard of a right rear (backup light) out causing a front Left signal light to stay on dim but I guess I have to replace it anyways so tomorrow or next day I’ll find out if a backup light on the opposite side and opposite side of the truck might cause it.
There’s 2 or 3 ground wires that connect right behind the F/L headlights that I cleaned up really well but there’s probably 7-8 more all around the engine compartment that I’m thinking if they were bad would affect more than just my left front signal.
but I’m not a mechanic who knows everything about electrical!!
Thanks so much for your advice 👍

Quick Reply: Left front signal light stays on dim in my dash and out front without being turned on