2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Code p1391 after 5.9 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 09:10 AM
Alexdabest
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Code p1391 after 5.9 rebuild

I've just rebuilt my 5.9 magnum, and when I went to start it, it appeared to be out of time. Since starting it the first time, anytime I start it now, it will run for maybe 2 minutes if it's cold, but when it warms up, it sputters and dies and has trouble starting again. I timed the cam and crank at tdc when i rebuilt it, but I also had to remove the distributor when doing the rebuild. I'm not familiar enough with distributors to know if its 180 out, and if not, how to adjust it to run well. I've not replaced the cam or crankshaft sensors, so it could be either of those given the p1391 code. Just wanted to know if anyone had any input before I replace parts? Or, if anyone knows if I've just messed up my distributor or crank sensor on install.

Note: at one point, it wouldnt start, so i unplugged the crank sensor, turned it over, then plugged it back in and it started fine and ran for about a minute.

I'm honestly at a complete loss for what to do next. Any help would be appreciated. Hope this all makes sense.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Pull the crank sensor and have a look at it. They are frequently victims of engine/trans R&R.

If the distributor was 180 out, it wouldn't run at all. Fuel sync might be off..... there is a process to set it 'close' in the service manual. (distributor R&R) that should at least get the engine to run halfway decent..... Need a scanner to properly set fuel sync. (and it needs to be a fairly high zoot scanner to even tell you fuel sync....)

Old 06-01-2023, 09:33 AM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pull the crank sensor and have a look at it. They are frequently victims of engine/trans R&R.

If the distributor was 180 out, it wouldn't run at all. Fuel sync might be off..... there is a process to set it 'close' in the service manual. (distributor R&R) that should at least get the engine to run halfway decent..... Need a scanner to properly set fuel sync. (and it needs to be a fairly high zoot scanner to even tell you fuel sync....)
Ok, good to know. What exactly would I be looking for on the crank sensor? How would I check it?

and if i get it close to the fuel sync, would it be driveable enough to get it to a mechanic to set it properly?

Old 06-01-2023, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Crank sensor is just a hall affect sensor. So, just make sure it is in good condition visibly, nothing is bent, and the wires didn't get trapped between engine and trans.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:46 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

#1 cylinder at TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE it should look like this..

Old 06-02-2023, 06:36 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Crank sensor is just a hall affect sensor. So, just make sure it is in good condition visibly, nothing is bent, and the wires didn't get trapped between engine and trans.

I replaced the crank sensor, and it got rid of the engine code. Now my only issue is that it won't idle. If I give it gas and keep the pedal pushed so that it sitsaround 800 rpms, it runs great. But the instant i let off the pedal it dies. Any thoughts now?

Old 06-02-2023, 06:36 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
#1 cylinder at TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE it should look like this..

thanks, I appreciate it! Next step is to check this^ again

Old 06-02-2023, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, check your fuel sync again... but, I don't think that's it..... Have you cleaned the throttle body? If not, wouldn't be a bad idea... if you have, do this: (or, do this after cleaning it...) Disconnect battery, turn on headlights, count to 5, turn off headlights (resets computer) reconnect battery, turn ignition "On", do not start it yet, count to ten, don't touch ANYTHING while counting, (lets pcm relearn zero values for various sensors) start the engine. PCM should figure out idle fairly quick. If it doesn't, then you have another problem in there somewhere.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:00 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Yeah, check your fuel sync again... but, I don't think that's it..... Have you cleaned the throttle body? If not, wouldn't be a bad idea... if you have, do this: (or, do this after cleaning it...) Disconnect battery, turn on headlights, count to 5, turn off headlights (resets computer) reconnect battery, turn ignition "On", do not start it yet, count to ten, don't touch ANYTHING while counting, (lets pcm relearn zero values for various sensors) start the engine. PCM should figure out idle fairly quick. If it doesn't, then you have another problem in there somewhere.

Sweet, will do. Thanks again! I'll update once I do this^

Old 06-02-2023, 09:48 PM
Alexdabest
Amateur

Update: the truck is running alright. It idles fine and reacts well to the pedal. However, when i drive it, or just give it gas at idle, if I let off the pedal fully, it goes down to about 500 rpm and cuts off. Also, once I come to a full stop, the oil pressure gauge drops to 0. I replaced the pump, pickup tube, sending unit, and it is ful of oil. Any guesses here? Sorry, I know this is unrelated to the original question, I just figured I'd keep it on one thread.

EDIT^ I've fixed the issue with the engine dying, however, the oil pressure issue is still present. I've checked the oil sending unit, the pump and tube are new, no leaks, etc. I can't see any real issues. 2 things I'm finding are either, I'm running oil that's a little thin (running 30 weight break in oil, so stock recommended), or... which I'm hoping isn't the case, my crank bearing clearances aren't correct. Again, any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Alexdabest; 06-03-2023 at 02:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Code p1391 after 5.9 rebuild