2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Parasitic battery drain and engine stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 01:05 PM
Xarann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Parasitic battery drain and engine stalling

Hello,

My 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 recently has had some parasitic drain on the battery. I traced the culprits to the dome lights for the majority, but there is a 600mA draw from the ignition that uses fuse 10. I for the life of my can't find actual schematics anywhere.

Could this draw mean there is something wrong in my ignition circuit that causes my truck to turn off? I usually happens if I need to use a bit of gas and then come to a stop (like going up a hill). After it does it, it refuses to idle even after restarting and throttling it up. No idea what finally makes it run again for a bit. Once it is running, it'll idle all day no issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2023, 01:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

You can download the factory service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8W. Fuse 10 is Fused Ignition Switch Output.... should not have power there at all with key off. (in the junction block in the cab, is that the one you are referring to?)

Old 06-20-2023, 01:52 PM
Xarann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I reviewed the schematics. Fuse 10 is the one located in the engine bay next to the battery, which feeds into C134 which further goes into the ignition switch later on. The key is off but I do have power for some reason. I think I'll disconnect the ignition switch and see if I still have a current draw and go from there.

Last edited by Xarann; 06-20-2023 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added pictures

Quick Reply: Parasitic battery drain and engine stalling