2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 12:03 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by true blue
My problem was...I bought the original lifetime pump some 20 years earlier n I don't remember what 'exactly' I paid for it. It was however, a lifetime warranty pump. Problem with this spate of "cheap chinese or mexican made junk" that's flooding the U.S. market, what's got longevity, opposed to what's gonna crater 6 days, 6 weeks, or 6 months down the road? Thus my question. I didn't even get 2 years outta this pump. If I go back to autozone, I'll get a free 'replacement' pump, with a built in grenade fuse that's getting shorter almost by the day!
Ya know?
The Delphi fuel pump sold by Rock Auto has a lifetime warranty. It's also used as OEM. Hard to go wrong with it. With the AutoZone no-name pump, it may have a lifetime warranty, but someone will need to be available to install the next fuel pump when the originally purchased pump craps out, which costs time & money. For some parts, it's better to go with a known reliable OEM part that tends to last since the time to remove and replace it can make it such a pain.

The following 2 users liked this post by AtomicDog:
Spillage (08-20-2023), true blue (08-20-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 02:36 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Connectors are whats killing the pumps on these. Replace the pigtail when you do the new pump.

I had luck cleaning and resizing the pins for a few years after kast replacement but now waiting on a pigtail to come in as mine has finally started disintegrating.

Also replace relay.

Now i dont know this as fact but ive been told a few times that fuel pumps wont be warrentied unless you've had the tank professionally cleaned before the install.

Old 08-28-2023, 12:42 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Originally Posted by MtnTow
Connectors are whats killing the pumps on these. Replace the pigtail when you do the new pump.

I had luck cleaning and resizing the pins for a few years after kast replacement but now waiting on a pigtail to come in as mine has finally started disintegrating.

Also replace relay.

Now i dont know this as fact but ive been told a few times that fuel pumps wont be warrentied unless you've had the tank professionally cleaned before the install.
Just FYI, the new Delphi fuel pump I recently purchased via RockAuto and installed in a '96 Dakota came with a new pigtail.

The following users liked this post:
MtnTow (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 01:09 AM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Just FYI, the new Delphi fuel pump I recently purchased via RockAuto and installed in a '96 Dakota came with a new pigtail.
Very nice! My (i think) delphi from napa about 3 years ago did not.

i currently have a pebble propping up the pigtail to keep connection until new one come tomorrow. Lol

Last edited by MtnTow; 08-28-2023 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 01:35 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Originally Posted by MtnTow
Very nice! My (i think) delphi from napa about 3 years ago did not.

i currently have a pebble propping up the pigtail to keep connection until new one come tomorrow. Lol
I used a ziptie to keep the connectors positively attached...

true blue (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 06:39 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Now, 'ol blue is hissing when I remove the gas cap. Sher hasn't done that in years. until I got the new 'delphi' pump. It's also stalling at idle sometime...GGGRRR!!! I hope it's only the throttle body or the IAC. WHY CAN'T THIS FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT BE EASY!!! BTW, 50 lbs at the fuel rail with the Delphi pump. She runs at hiway speeds just fine and accelerates like a scalded dog, it's just that damnable stalling at idle! If I control the throttle until idle speed obtained (manual tranny), no problemo. Just hope my tank vacuum line not pinched or twisted!

Old 08-29-2023, 07:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Have you tried resetting the PCM, and letting it re-learn idle?

true blue (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 08:45 AM
true blue
Veteran

I've not?!? Thnx brother. I don't know why my brain slipped on that particular banana peel of final steps!!!

Old 08-31-2023, 08:39 PM
true blue
Veteran

that did tha trick brother, thnx again! It's amazing what I forget over time, ah well.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:31 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Now, 'ol blue is hissing when I remove the gas cap.
Shouldn't do this at all, Is the evap system working?

Quick Reply: fuel pump