2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about steering column wire harness/overdrive issue - 01 Dodge Ram Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 06:40 PM
whitewing
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the delayed reply. Too much going on. To answer your questions Mtn Tow, no I have not had any work done recently on the truck, and I haven't seen any signs of mice. I wouldn't think that would be an issue since my truck is always in the driveway, either at home or at work.

I do have an update on the situation though. My mechanic was able to change out the gear switch lever that has the O/D button on it, including the wiring for the button. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. He has no idea at this point what the issue may be. He's thinking perhaps it's an internal issue in the transmission. Yet the transmission shop thought it was the wiring in that gear switch lever. So I'm back to nowhere with it. I have no idea what to do about it at this point.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Need to see what trans temp is doing when it drops out of o/d.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 11:58 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

I still think you have a short somewhere. The '98 I service has never had the end of the shift lever with the button. At one point I made an aluminum "****" just to make it easier to shift but they reported that made O/D OFF come and go erratically. Obviously it was shorting or completing a circuit with what was left of the wires at the end of the stalk. Finally I just pulled the aluminum **** off and they seem happy with just the metal stalk and nothing more.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:59 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to see what trans temp is doing when it drops out of o/d.
Hopefully is a PID that can be monitored with a scanner? If the PCM is tracking it, it's in there somewhere.....?

Quick Reply: Question about steering column wire harness/overdrive issue - 01 Dodge Ram Sport