2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifter tick or exhaust tick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 08:45 AM
Dkong400
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter tick or exhaust tick?

I have a ticking noise that happens on start up when the engine revs up little. The ticking then goes away at idle but is obviously heard when accelerating the truck. Goes away again when coasting or at idle. Its very rhythmic and speeds up and gets louder as the rpms go up. At some point the regular exhaust noise and road noise and wind pretty much drown it out as the vehicle picks up speed.

Essentially, I have a some sort of ticking noise only when accelerating that speeds up as the RPMs go up but goes away when you get off the gas pedal. Do you guys think its an exhaust leak or lifter tick?

Old 09-01-2023, 10:38 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkong400
I have a ticking noise that happens on start up when the engine revs up little. The ticking then goes away at idle but is obviously heard when accelerating the truck. Goes away again when coasting or at idle. Its very rhythmic and speeds up and gets louder as the rpms go up. At some point the regular exhaust noise and road noise and wind pretty much drown it out as the vehicle picks up speed.

Essentially, I have a some sort of ticking noise only when accelerating that speeds up as the RPMs go up but goes away when you get off the gas pedal. Do you guys think its an exhaust leak or lifter tick?

Get about 4 feet of fuel hose. Put one ear on one end and move the other around. This will let you make sure it's not the exhaust. I suspect the engine myself. An exhaust tick doesn't change with speed and usually goes away as the exhaust warms up.

I recently did a major tuneup on my '96 Ram with the 5.9 and it had a tick in the upper engine all the time I've had it. It was the remnants of a flattened can of Schlitz beer laying in the valley between the heads. You may have a weak lifter. That will often change with the engine speed.

Old 09-02-2023, 07:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I would think if it was a lifter you would hear it most of the time. Do you have decent oil pressure? What weight oil are you using? Have a look around the exhaust manifolds for any black spots.
An exhaust tick doesn't change with speed and usually goes away as the exhaust warms up.
If it was a leak at the exhaust manifold(engine to manifold) it would. But not being able to hear it and determine where it is coming from is hard to do over the internet.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:07 AM
Dkong400
Amateur

Thats my assumption too. If it were lifter it would be more consistent, no? My exhaust manifolds look super crunchy but I havent found a black hole yet.

I also have a video but the website wont let me upload it

Old 09-04-2023, 10:09 AM
Dkong400
Amateur

I have good oil pressure and using 10w-30

Quick Reply: Lifter tick or exhaust tick?