2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalling/choking out

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 08:24 PM
TeamKeeney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stalling/choking out

First, you all have been so much help to others and myself as I have witnessed first hand...love the comraderie!

Problem: 2nd Gen -1994 Ram 1500 2wd single cab with 5.2L - stalls while driving - won't hold idle.
Work I put in recently: Intake repair/Gaske Replacement and reseal, replace tstat with 185 degree unit. Pull all spark plugs clean and
gap correctly and repair 2 spark plug wires. Pull, test, clean and reseal all injectors. Clean fuel system. Check charging and starting system - replace battery terminals. Replace trans pan gasket and fluid. Remove clean and reinstall VSS. Replace tps and iac. clear and reset computer = recheck and still get #37 and #21. Replace TV cable and adjust. Check for vacuum leaks - reroute some lines per diagram on engine bay.

Unable to identify cause or address: truck idle dips and vehicle shuts off if throttle peddle not pushed constantly.It will not idle on its own but instead will stall - while sitting at light or driving.

Things to know: cat delete performed prior to acquiring it and there are no 02 sensors (just found the wires so I am considering installing front 02s in spark plug non foulers but also considering converting to HEI out of frustration) Also, truck won't move except in low gear and it has reversethen you can manually shift up or down as needed. Wiring cut under dash and I have been unable to find OBD1 port and have relied on manually pulling codes from dashboard. Also, as I was reinstalling the intake my wife showed me the distributor hold down and said she removed it thinking it prevented the intakes removal. I drove it like that and the truck ran like crap. Made adjustments and finally it ran well, until I discovered she used the wrong bolt and dist turned again while driving.

Need help/diag steps/etc..at wits end and ready to list it

Old 09-04-2023, 08:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Replace tps and iac.
What brand iac did you put in? Did you clean out the carbon in the throttle body?

Old 09-04-2023, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

21 Doesn't come as a surprise, as you don't have an O2 sensor. Your truck should only have one before where the cat used to be.

37 TCC circuit shorted. If the TCC is engaged, it's like not pushing in the clutch at a stop with a manual trans..... Will the truck idle in park or neutral?

Old 09-04-2023, 10:31 AM
TeamKeeney

O'Reillys....they are the only ones who had the IAC and the TPS. Cleaned carbon out of intake while doing the plenum repair with wire brush, sand paper and 6 cans of carb clean...iit was nasty!

Old 09-04-2023, 10:36 AM
TeamKeeney

It will not idle in park or neutral without keeping my foot on throttle. While driving I am constantly shifting into neutral to keep idle up or downshifting to low for turns etc. I found 2 wires that look like they were for 02 sensors. Would the pre cat sensor wire be on the pass or drivers side? I have considered the simple answer that since the computer can't see any sweep from that O2 sensot it is stalling or chokig out fuel supply. I can smell it running rich. If I was to replace/add it back in would I be able to keep it attached to fender well or would I need to drive bunghole in exhaust and maybe use a spark plug non fouler to minimize the sweep?

Old 09-04-2023, 10:38 AM
TeamKeeney
Default #37 - lockup or no lockup?

Does 37 indicate tcc not going into lock up or that it isn't coming out of lockup?

Old 09-04-2023, 12:53 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I havent had quite enough coffee to be sure if you said you've confirmed tcc is working. The code 37 can also happen for no reason iirc. Like an artifact of old wiring.

If your truck has egr, try unplugging a vac line (iirc bottom small port pass side works best) on throttle body and see if it runs. If so, you need to deal with egr system. I actually put a T in mine with a tiny scrubber in a line to atmosphere for years. Don't do this unless you want to do an engine swap soon but it can get you moving.

Ultimately i swapped in non egr engine and wired the solenoid to an led to avoid CEL.

My 94 is also straight pipe and i have my o2 sensor so you may want to address that as well.

Quick Reply: Stalling/choking out