2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake light (and more) wiring failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 12:37 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake light (and more) wiring failure?

1994 ram 2500 5.9 v8 4x4

So i had to run truck at high rpm with a trailer over some mountains for 8 hours a couple months ago.

The next day, my fuel pump circuit failed. Pump is fine but pigtail got pretty hot.

Then my brake lights did the same except the switch connector melted.

Only clue i may have is my 4-way flashers stopped working on 1 side while i was travelling for a while. Even the dash only showed 1 side flashing.

Now, it is entirely possible that the 2 circuits managed to fail separately from the same heavy use conditions but i generally dont believe in coincidence.

1: Do the brake lights somehow go through ignition or ASD?

2: Does multifunction switch ground to same place as fuel pump?

Now i do have the wiring diagrams and am pretty good with electronics but im hoping someone will know which ground studs the fuel pump and multifunction switch use or recognize some kind of obvious problem i havent seen before (and save me some time).

(Another possibility im considering is the high rpm acted like a saw on my ridiculously over packed wiring bundles passing through firewall.)

Last edited by MtnTow; 09-04-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Turn signals and flasher use separate flasher units, probably the one for the 4 ways failed. Cheap to replace.

I think the fuel pump and such ground at the front of the truck, between the batter, and radiator support, way down in there. Stud sticking straight up.

The following users liked this post:
MtnTow (09-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Brake light (and more) wiring failure?