2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C and Heat work just fine but will only blow through the defrost vents no matter wh

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 10:18 AM
daytraderbm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C and Heat work just fine but will only blow through the defrost vents no matter wh

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 4x2 - 230,000 Miles

Dash has been completed removed from the truck
* PROBLEM: A/C and Heat work just fine but will only blow through the defrost vents no matter which setting I have it on *

I took pictures under the hood of a few things (not too familiar with vacuum lines etc but wanting to learn/fix IF this is most likely the issue here)

Can anyone guide me in the right direction of what to replace to get my A/C blowing through the correct vents? Is this most likely a vacuum line issue? There are 230,000 miles on the truck. Can you highlight in the pictures I'm attaching which pieces I'll want to replace and WHAT those actual pieces are called and where I can get them at?

Also just found something loose which I believe is a vacuum line... I'll attach all photos here with what I have.... Looking forward to the solutions!!! =D

Old 09-09-2023, 10:20 AM
daytraderbm

That last picture I uploaded that has the 2 red circles is what I just found before posting this...

If that is vacuum hose issue, what are the chances that this just needs a new rubber connector and reconnect the line to it and then my air will blow properly?

Old 09-09-2023, 10:22 AM
daytraderbm

By the way, my entire dash has been removed because I'm replacing the dash cover... So I'm guessing I won't be able to test the fix for this until I get everything back in and reconnected

A lot of the other vacuum lines feel fine. Nothing feels or looks dry rotted... Hoping this one that came loose is the source of this problem I'm having with the air and heat only blowing through defrost vents...

Old 09-09-2023, 07:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Yep, one broken vacuum lines, and a buncha stuff quits workin'.

Quick Reply: A/C and Heat work just fine but will only blow through the defrost vents no matter wh