2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine cranks but won't start; no pressure in fuel line.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 01:34 PM
latkelarry
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine cranks but won't start; no pressure in fuel line.

Howdy,
So I'm finally getting my project truck up and running after sitting for half a year (and a break in and attempted theft) and after double checking all of the sensors, the wiring harness, and other finicky electrical components, I fired it up this morning but noticed that a) the fuel pump isn't priming b) the gas gauge isn't adjusting even after putting 5 gallons into the tank and c) I am not getting any fuel pressure whatsoever in the fuel rail.

I replaced the fuel pump, filter, regulator, and sending unit last year and the truck hasn't been started more than half a dozen times since then as I've still been working on it. I checked the relay this morning and I had power on #30 of the fuel pump relay, and even swapped out relays with one that I checked for functionality (the horn relay) to no avail.

I have a few possible theories but don't know if any of them could be correct:
1) I'm unaware if these trucks require some sort of key reprogramming if you replace the ignition module. The crack addicts that broke into my truck decided to try to cut into the steering wheel and ignition module so I had to fully replace the unit. It'll crank the engine but does it require some sort of reprogramming to kick the fuel pump on? I had a similar issue with a 2006 Toyota Camry when I replaced the keys and didn't reprogram them. Cranked but didn't start.
2) On the service manual it appears that there are supposed to be removable connectors/relays on both Joint Connectors 1 and 2. I just checked my PDC and there doesn't appear to be any module connected at the joint connectors, just the plastic that's a part of the bottom of the PDC. Is this typical? I couldn't find much searching online.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just spent the last week completely rebuilding this truck to eliminate any issues, and then I get this one out of the blue.

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9l, 4x2 Automatic

Last edited by latkelarry; 11-01-2023 at 01:35 PM. Reason: vehicle information
Old 11-01-2023, 02:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

What color is your key? Black, no anti-theft problems. Grey, possible problems....

If the pump isn't priming at initial key on, test and see if the PCM is actually trying to control it..... may just be a bad connection somewhere. On mine, there is a ground just in front of the battery, WAY down there on the frame rail, that has a boatload of wires going to it. (G100, 12 wires, I believe....) 8 of the 12 were corroded and broke. It was a wonder anything worked....

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 06:51 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Also what happens if you jumper with relay removed? If the pump still doesn't run and you KNOW there's power, you obviously have a problem with wires to the pump, a ground issue, or the new pump seized for some reason

Old 11-05-2023, 03:44 PM
latkelarry
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just posting an update: I got it running, it was indeed a ground issue. The ground wire on the back of the alternator wasn't fully seated in the socket. Tightened her up and she came to life. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (11-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Engine cranks but won't start; no pressure in fuel line.