2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First Dodge- Looking info!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 09:35 PM
Cook
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Dodge- Looking info!

Hey! My name is Mason, I am 21 and just bought my first Dodge. It is a 2001 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie. It has the 5.2l, Automatic trans, 3.55 rear end, 4x4 Quad Cab with a 196,000 miles for $4,400.

It is in good mechanical condition but needs some TLC cosmetically. Typical busted dash, cracked windshield, and some other very minor things. I need tires immediately and want to go ahead and do a small lift/level with A/T tires. I am having trouble finding any information on the “SLT Laramie.” I didn’t know it was a trim option until purchase. I am pretty new to suspension and mechanical info so forgive any ignorance. Please explain things like I’m a kid.

What separates it from the SLT and Laramie trim levels?
Does this trim level come with a lift already?
—Is it normal to have a block under the leaf springs?
Will a typical rough country lift fit this?
Thanks!

Old 11-06-2023, 07:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Laramie SLT is just the trim level. What options the truck has on it. The only version that came with a bit of a factory lift, was the Off Road Edition trucks. (and if you have one, it will say so ON the truck somewhere.) Given you have the 3.55 gears, that is NOT an ORE truck. (they had 4.10's.)

Blocks in the back are stock. Whoever thought that was a good idea should have been fired.

You can get 2 to 3 inches of lift without much trouble. Going beyond that they, it becomes MUCH more expensive, simply due to the front suspension design. Big question is: What size tires do you want to run? You can likely get away with 33's, with just a 2 inch level kit, though the larger tires will make the truck a dog out of the hole. Going larger than that will require more lift, and also new gears...... (unless you like rebuilding transmissions?)

Old 11-06-2023, 12:56 PM
Cook
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Yeah 33s are as big as I’m willing to go. These trucks are definitely a little weak feeling. What wakes them up? Will headers and an intake wake the 5.2 up any?

Old 11-06-2023, 02:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Won't hurt, but, selection for the 5.2 is REALLY limited.... Unless you get REALLY lucky, and find an M1 intake thats ready for FI, the Hughes Air Gap is about the only option... Everyone and their cousin makes headers for 'em though.

Quick Reply: First Dodge- Looking info!