2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

360 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 05:21 PM
Courage
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 360 Performance

Hey guys, without doing any major engine work, can a 5.9 magnum make as much power as a 2 valve 5.4 Triton? What would it take to get me there? I have a 2001 F250 Super Duty with 3.73s and the 4r100 that pulls my landscape trailer really well. It's only 2 wheel drive though, and tbh, I just like my Dodge (94 Ram 2500 5 speed 4x4 3.55s 265/70/17) more. My Dodge pulls it ok, but I live in a mountainous area, and I either have to get going 65 to make it to the top at 50 without flooring it in 4th, or downshift to 3rd and come up it at 3,600 rpms at 54. I can just lock out overdrive at the bottom on my Ford and if I keep my foot in it and still be doing 55 at the top. My trailer only weighs around 3,500 lbs. I think my plenum might be leaking, and I've not done a tune up on it yet as I haven't had the time yet (I know, no need to lecture 🤦‍♂️). Also, the temp rides right around 140 on the guage, so I think it needs a new thermostat. I'd like to use time off this winter to work on my Dodge to try to get it up to the same power level as Ford. Planning to start off with a full tune up and plenum gasket. After that, I was maybe thinking Hartland Sharpes 1.7 roller rockers? I hear mixed reviews on those. Because it's a 94, I don't think anyone makes any tuners for it.
Is my goal even possible without better flowing heads/cam/compression bump, that kinda thing? If it's not, I'll just live with it, but it sure seems like a relatively large V8 should be able to spin the tires in 3rd on a gravel road when its EMPTY. If so, how do I get there. It performs excellently from 3,000 to 3,500 rpms, but below that, it just falls flat on it face. Oh, and the Dodge only gets 10½ mpgs, when the Ford doing the same work, gets 12 if I'm remember correctly.
Hope my rambling made sense!
Courage

Old 12-01-2023, 05:37 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 303 Likes on 286 Posts
Lightbulb

By changing the thermostat out and installing a 192 degree thermostat, you should notice the truck pickup a bit, as the PCM is geared towards the engine running best at that temperature. I would also highly consider swapping out the ring and pinion in the rear differential to 4.10 gearing, as you will notice instant pickup when taking off from a stoplight/hills and beyond, especially since you have a manual transmission in the truck. If you haven't done so recently, a good tune-up may help as well - spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter and O2 sensor(s). Lastly, clean the throttle body really well, too.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

How is the plenum? Checked that yet? How many miles on it? Changed the timing chain/gears??

Old 12-02-2023, 02:10 PM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a tough one because right off the bat, 94/95 rams had less horseys and torque than the Gen 2.1 (96+/obdII) so even if your ford was a ram, you'd have a hard time getting the 94 to catch up.

There's probably ways to get close but i dont know them.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:01 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Posted this before, from another forum about 9 years ago: https://www.dodgetalk.com/threads/le...-truck.464674/
Basic low mile small Magnum 1500 4x4, decent shape. Owner added a list of bolt-on mods, dyno tested each step of the way.
Very nice upgrade in HP and TQ without any serious disassembly.
Seen a lot of 'huge' gains, mouth measured by optimistic owners, almost never any science behind any of those fairy tales.
Don't matter what the owner says. Dyno or quarter mile slips. Only truth.

The following users liked this post:
MtnTow (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 08:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
Posted this before, from another forum about 9 years ago: https://www.dodgetalk.com/threads/le...-truck.464674/
Basic low mile small Magnum 1500 4x4, decent shape. Owner added a list of bolt-on mods, dyno tested each step of the way.
Seen a lot of 'huge' gains, mouth measured by optimistic owners, almost never any science behind any of those fairy tales.
Wow..... He got some REALLY nice gains, without a lot of work. I wish he would have came back and finished it out.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:09 PM
Courage
Amateur

First of all, thank you all for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it!
Originally Posted by AtomicDog
By changing the thermostat out and installing a 192 degree thermostat, you should notice the truck pickup a bit, as the PCM is geared towards the engine running best at that temperature. I would also highly consider swapping out the ring and pinion in the rear differential to 4.10 gearing, as you will notice instant pickup when taking off from a stoplight/hills and beyond, especially since you have a manual transmission in the truck. If you haven't done so recently, a good tune-up may help as well - spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter and O2 sensor(s). Lastly, clean the throttle body really well, too.
I'm planning to replace the thermostat tomorrow. Hoping for some gains there. I've thought about swapping gears. How many rpms would it turn in 4th at 60 with 4.10s?
Originally Posted by HeyYou
How is the plenum? Checked that yet? How many miles on it? Changed the timing chain/gears??
Not sure on the plenum, planning to check that tomorrow. Truck has 207k, but the engine was supposedly replaced with a lower mileage on that would have around 170k. If I remember correctly, one of the valve covers has some numbers written on it that look very junkyardesque, so it seems probable. Bought it from a stand up guy, so no reason not to believe him. Haven't changed the timing chain. It doesn't make any weird rattling sounds though...
Originally Posted by MtnTow
That's a tough one because right off the bat, 94/95 rams had less horseys and torque than the Gen 2.1 (96+/obdII) so even if your ford was a ram, you'd have a hard time getting the 94 to catch up.

There's probably ways to get close but i dont know them.
That's what I was afraid of...
Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
Wow, very interesting read. Was most surprised by the fast man tb gains.
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wow..... He got some REALLY nice gains, without a lot of work. I wish he would have came back and finished it out.
No kidding!
The electric fan also seemed interesting, just kinda feel like a belt driven one might be more reliable?

Old 12-03-2023, 01:39 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 303 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Courage
First of all, thank you all for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it!

I'm planning to replace the thermostat tomorrow. Hoping for some gains there. I've thought about swapping gears. How many rpms would it turn in 4th at 60 with 4.10s?
You'd be looking at approximately 2,600 - 2,700 RPM at 60 MPH in 4th gear with your existing 31.7" tall tire and 4.10 gearing. You can calculate the changes here - https://spicerparts.com/calculators/...rpm-calculator

I've been very happy after swapping out 3.55 gearing to 4.10, as I'm running 285/75/16 tires and towing a trailer periodically. The gearing change made the truck much more enjoyable to drive.

Old 12-03-2023, 02:32 AM
Courage
Amateur

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
You'd be looking at approximately 2,600 - 2,700 RPM at 60 MPH in 4th gear with your existing 31.7" tall tire and 4.10 gearing. You can calculate the changes here - https://spicerparts.com/calculators/...rpm-calculator

I've been very happy after swapping out 3.55 gearing to 4.10, as I'm running 285/75/16 tires and towing a trailer periodically. The gearing change made the truck much more enjoyable to drive.
That's a really cool calculator! I wonder if I could track down a gear vendor for my truck. It definitely seems like 4.10s would really help. Guess I do really like it's current gearing for the few time a year I go on a long feeway trip though. Idk what to do lol!

Old 12-03-2023, 03:42 AM
MtnTow
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately being a '94 you have half a chance of having a Chrysler rear end. Not sure what finding 4.10 for it would be like.

Upgrading the axles to matching 4.10 Danas is a BIG job. Rear leafs arent the same size as later years so need to either settle for the size you have and try to find blocks that fit both ends or cut the hangers off and replace with full size. There's also a couple years i think you cant use because they dont have differential speed sensor. If you go from Chrysler to Dana you will also need your driveshaft shortened by about 1.5"

Front diff is mostly bolt on but the track bar isnt so either settle or ream the trackbar pin socket out to fit the larger new ones.

The ONLY advantage to a 94/95 is the lack of computerization. We can run our trucks from a bowl of gas on the roof. Lol

Last edited by MtnTow; 12-03-2023 at 03:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 360 Performance